Polymer Clay Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

peterpiper

-K- Thanks for the link, the reason I asked is that I have an old but working microwave in the garage and don't think wifey would like stinky clay in her oven, she's got a really sensitive nose that can detect a stink before I've made one!
pete

My wife blames me for all the stinkies too...LOL!

I have a toaster oven out in the garage that I use. I splurged a little and got the convection (fan inside) oven that cooks fairly evenly (60-70 bucks). The only problem I had with it was I put some blanks on the top rack (really close to the element)...ohhhh….scorched to say the least. I filled the whole garage with smoke.

YoYoSpin

I wrote an article on polymer clay pen making back in 2004 for Woodturning Design magazine – you'll find it in issue #2. Here's the link to their back issue page: http://www.woodturningdesign.com/issues/back.shtml

1_77.jpg

And now you tell us! There are some great books and tutorials out there. Some of the clay formulations have changed, but I don't think that would make a big difference.

Texatdurango

I wrote an article on polymer clay pen making back in 2004 for Woodturning Design magazine – you'll find it in issue #2. Here's the link to their back issue page: http://www.woodturningdesign.com/issues/back.shtml
Ed, Is there some arrangement you have with the magazine that would keep you from sharing the content of the article here on the forum since it's 5 years old?

jbmauser

I would like a lot more info on Polymer clay. I have tried two and came up with lets say, learning experiences..... More to follow over this long weekend. I will make them thicker and cook the blazes out of them and perhaps they will not crack like terra cotta tiles. JB

randyrls

There is a method floating around the internet for curing in the microwave. From what I have seen it submerges the piece in water and cooks on high for 10 minutes or so. I have not attempted it so I don't know if it yields a different result then curing in the oven.

Check out this site. It is one of the best I have found for a scientific approach to polymer clay http://www.garieinternational.com.sg/clay/shop/microwave.htm.

Be cautious if heating water in a microwave. You can "superheat" the water to above it's boiling point. The least little disturbance causes the water instantly boil and fly in all directions. A bath of scalding water isn't very pleasant! :frown:

barkisini

I've been thinking about the possibilities for using PC for some time, and actually picked some up about a year or so ago, but never got around to trying it....this thread has got me excited about the potential for some really creative 'stuff'....

I think the idea of expanding the 'casting' forum to include other fabrications is a good one, and I look forward to some PC posts there.

gwilki

I've done several clay pens, but I don't wrap the tubes. I make blanks by rolling the clay into a sausage shape, then baking it. Then I simply drill it as I would with any other material. So far, I've had no blowouts and I've had no problems gluing the tubes in with 5 minute epoxy.

Top Bottom