Polymer Clay Pen Making

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Simsonicole

Hi everyone...I know this is where I am gonna get my answers from ;)

I have just starting trying to make the polymer clay pens. Got the making of the pen sorted but struggling with the bake. First one...total disaster. Had the oven temp set correctly but it kept going too hot so the pen blistered a bit...without burning...and came out a bit soft. That was doing it at 140 degrees celsius (275 for you Americans :rolleyes:) for 30 mins. Looking through all my books...doing a bit more research, temp stays the same but told to put it in for 60-90 mins depending on the thickness. Had the clay quite thin so put it in for 70 mins...and let it stay in the oven till it cooled. Still quite soft. Really hard to keep the oven at a steady temp.

Any suggestions, ideas or thoughts appreciated!!! :question::question::question:

Jmtulloss

I the the longer bake time is correct. Temperature is more important than the length of the bake. As for temperature control using a pizza stone or paving brick would moderate the temp swings. Also using an oven thermometer is important as well. I also cover my clay with parchment paper.

I still have some warping but I generally make it large enough to trim down. I have found the Polymer Clay Tutor very helpful. Here is a link:
http://www.beadsandbeading.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom