Polyester resin same as casting resin?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skye

Looking to try to cast my own, have bought clear casting resin before. Is this the same stuff or is there a different resin I should look for?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
There are other resins and other forms of polyester, but most of what is talked about here is clear casting, polyester resin.

Skye

Aight. I noticed that the clear casting isnt the cheapest stuff, didnt know if there was a cheaper alternative. Looks like about $33 a gallon plus shipping.

btboone

Some has a definite green tint to it, so that is something to consider. If the resin isn't specifically meant for clear casting, it may show a bit of color. Not a big deal when you put a bunch of tints and powders in it.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by gerryr
<br />I don't know what shipping costs, but if there's a Michael's near you you might give them a try.
Around here MIchaels has it for about $20.00 a quart not inclucing the hardner

OKLAHOMAN

I've been buying from Mr.Fiberglass Sm41100 clear casting resin @28.60 a gal plus shipping web address www.mrfiberglass.com

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by Huzzah
<br />Skye - Where are you finding it for $33/gal? Maybe someone will have other sources for the resin and maybe one at a lower cost. Then again, maybe that's just the price.

Has anybody figured out how many blanks a gallon of resin will make? I know this will vary depending on waste, but I'd be interested in seeing what the cost per blank is when a gallon is $33.

This will depend on what dyes you are using, what forms you have to buy, how many pours you can get out of a form (or mold) before it becomes warped, what freight costs are, how many you ruin before you get the "drops" figured out (and whether your temp and humidity vary, so the "drops" change with every new pour) and a bevy of other "variables".

Good luck!

its_virgil

Huzzah,

I'm not Skye but I'll answer your question. I get polyester resin from <b>http://www.mrfiberglass.com</b> For this discussion I will use the word "blank" to be one tube cast in resin.
Here is what I use:

<b>Silmar 41 Clear Casting Polyester Resin

Used for thick castings that need to be water clear. Not to be used in laminating. The amount of curing agent is critical depending on mass of the casting and should be determined with experimentation.

Size Item # Price
1 Quart SM41025 $11.96
1 Gallon SM41100 $30.94
5 Gallons SM41500 $123.76 </b>

I cast 16 ounces of resin per cast and that will do 9 blanks. So,
(128 oz/gal) / (16 ounces/cast) = (8 casts/gal). Each cast will do 9 blanks so, (9 blanks/cast) x (8 casts/gal) = (72 blanks/gal)

Then, (30.94 $$/gal) / (72 blanks/gal) = (.42973 $$/blank) or 43 cents per blank. Some pens use two blanks and some just one. Per pen price can be calculated.

Shipping to my address adds another $7 or so to the price of 1 gallon including catalyst, so that adds another $.10 per blank or $.20 per pen (for a two blank pen).

I had been purchasing it for $28.15 per gallon but I just ordered more and noticed he has gone up to $30.94[V].

None of these figures include dyes, colorants, or luster powders. The colorants add very little to the price of each cast. Skins are sometimes free and sometimes I buy them and the price of a two blank snake skin set is well under $3 per pen[:D] which is why I've worked so hard to perfect the making of snake skin blanks.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by Huzzah<br />Skye - Where are you finding it for $33/gal? Maybe someone will have other sources for the resin and maybe one at a lower cost. Then again, maybe that's just the price.

Has anybody figured out how many blanks a gallon of resin will make? I know this will vary depending on waste, but I'd be interested in seeing what the cost per blank is when a gallon is $33.

mrplace

<br />Skye - Where are you finding it for $33/gal? Maybe someone will have other sources for the resin and maybe one at a lower cost. Then again, maybe that's just the price.

If you are in the DFW area, I can get it for $118 for 5 gallons. They actually sell it by the pound, but that what it comes out to. Five gallons is the minimum though.

For a 3/4"x6" blank you use almost 3oz of resin, maybe more like 2.5-2.75 oz. I mix 6oz of resin + 4 drops per oz of MEKP, + Teaspoon of Pearl, 10-30 drops of tint (typically).

rtjw

Originally posted by mrplace
<br />

If you are in the DFW area, I can get it for $118 for 5 gallons. They actually sell it by the pound, but that what it comes out to. Five gallons is the minimum though.

For a 3/4"x6" blank you use almost 3oz of resin, maybe more like 2.5-2.75 oz. I mix 6oz of resin + 4 drops per oz of MEKP, + Teaspoon of Pearl, 10-30 drops of tint (typically).

Where do you get it. I live south of fort worth and would gladly buy 5 gallons.

OKLAHOMAN

Originally posted by mrplaceI've got two sons that live in the DFW area who could pick some up for me and bring it on thanksgiving if you would e-mail me the info and do you get the MEKP with it?
<br />

mrplace

Woww, alot of emails. Here are the details as I have them.

The prices change often with the chemical market, as of two weeks ago the cost was $2.70 lb (the price drops with larger quantities) for water clear polyester resin (comes with catalyst). Their formula is called S40. The minimum order is a five gallon bucket, FOB their warehouse in North Fort Worth they are off hwy 820 north of hwy 121.

The company name is Composite One, and the sales rep I have been using is Gary Winchester. I believe this is the same company I was talking to about the two part Urethane Resin that is similar to Alumilite's product, but cheaper. This is also the company that I was going to use to buy the 55 gallon drum for a group buy. I can get 55 gallons for about $1040 and don't have to pay any hazmat or shipping because it is local.

Composite One
3000 Wesley Way
Fort Worth, TX 76118-6456
800-752-7839

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom