Poly Resin Over Vinyl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

A friend of mine makes car wraps. I gave him some photos with the idea of wrapping them around a tube and pouring clear PR over them (in a mold).
Given the material is vinyl, do you think I should apply something to the vinyl photo before pouring the PR over it?

Thank you.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I called the manufacturer (ET...and spoke to Marti..nice gal btw)...she didn't think there would be a problem but encouraged me to test it. She did say that she recommends protecting images with acrylic spray.

TBCbushings

I tried vinyl and it didnt work. It wrinkled up on me. I did try Alumilite and worked great. PR melted it...The spray might protect it but not too sure...

TonyL

Thank you. I also have some vinyl covered by clear laminate. We will see. I will also try the spray.

JohnU

I had it shrink and wrinkle in PR. I'm guessing from the heat during curing. It didn't spray it with anything when I tried it. A day or two for the adhesive to dry after you stick it to your tube might help also. Good luck.

mikedealer

They make High temp vinyls that have strong adhesion under heat, link is below talking about it, the cheaper Avery or oracal sucks under heat. I've seen vinyl bubble many times on hood wraps if they don't use the right vinyl.
Vinyl Decals

chartle

I was thinking of doing the same thing since I do all the vehicle graphics for my company. I have a sample of gold fake gold leaf that's just waiting to be part of a fire fighter pen.

jttheclockman

I use vinyl carbon fiber and have had no problems. I do a 2 step process though and maybe that is the reason. I coat the vinly with a light coat of Poly Resin and let it cure before I cast. I think because the initial coating is not thick it does not generate the heat to wrinkle or melt. I use this process also when I do my braiding blanks. Works well for me.

Top Bottom