Polaris Kit Help Please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pguil

Hi all,
I am just starting out in the pen making world and I have just tried to make a Polaris Ballpoint pen. Everything was going smoothly until I get to the assembly part. For some reason I cant fathom out how this pen goes together. I have assembled up to the point where the instructions say to insert the twist mechanism into the end of the pen until it stops and then ensure the mechanism twists freely. At this point I cant see how this mechanism stays in the pen. Do i need to press it into the tube or am I missing something obvious. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Paul

Skie_M

Yes, you press it into the tube.

There are several methods one can use to go about this, but first, I'ld like to say, "Welcome to the IAP!" :)

You can use a clamp of some type, just make sure that it has plastic grip ends so you don't damage the finish on your pen ...

Many people use plastic faced inserts on their lathe and use their handwheel on the tailstock to press the insert parts into the barrels.

Also, there are commercial style pen presses available, but they cost a lot of money for little benefit that I can fathom ...

I use a drill press vice to press my parts. I replaced the steel jaws with vinyl plastic jaws.

Make sure you press the pen tip first, and THEN press the transmission, stopping now and then to check the fit of your refill and it's extension from the tip of the pen. DO NOT attempt to press the transmission with the refill inserted into the pen ... you will damage it!

Pguil

Excellent thanks, I do have a pen press so I will use that.
It would help if the instructions were a bit clearer though.

Skie_M

It would have helped a bit more if you had started with a much more common kit, like the standard 7mm slimline from PSI. The instructions that come with that kit are quite user friendly, and once you have the basics down people tend to migrate towards the more expensive kits. :)

That's not to say that everyone stays away from slimlines ... quite the opposite, as it's probably the most common selling pen that PSI offers! They are slim, considered quite attractive and user friendly, and are very easy to make and sell, since they are so cheap!

Top Bottom