Poker Sierra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bbuis

bbuis

Here is the first of hopefully many pens. It's Kamani wood on a Poker Sierra. Any advice is welcome.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Just my opinion (remember you did ask). The pen looks good, something about the blank to me does not fit the kit. Not sure if it is the grain or the color of the blank but I just feel it doesn't flow. Again, just an observation and an opinion, they are both worth exactly what you paid for them.

Landon

ldb2000

I think it looks very good .... but ..... I think the thing that looks wrong is the straight bushing to bushing cut . These pens look much better with a SLIGHT curve that matches the hardwares shape . Not a bulging middle (pregnant pen shape) , just a slight curve so the lines of the pen flow smoothly . Please do not take this as a criticism just a suggestion from an artsie-fartsie point of view . If you look at vintage pens and even most modern pens , the body flows along the same lines as the hardware .

bbuis

I'll have to practice that technique. This was my first pen ever. Did a cigar right after it and now working on a keychain just trying different turning techniques.

Jgrden

I think it looks very good .... but ..... I think the thing that looks wrong is the straight bushing to bushing cut . These pens look much better with a SLIGHT curve that matches the hardwares shape . Not a bulging middle (pregnant pen shape) , just a slight curve so the lines of the pen flow smoothly . Please do not take this as a criticism just a suggestion from an artsie-fartsie point of view . If you look at vintage pens and even most modern pens , the body flows along the same lines as the hardware .
I am against the pregnant centers, but in this case you are right. A SLIGHT gentle curve would be nice.

What I liked most was the straight barrel,I always make mine with a hump.I just never thought the straight barrel would look good,but it looks very nice.I have made slim lines both ways just never a sierra.Great job on your first pen wish my first had looked so good,Victor

Oh and welcome to the forum,and don't worry about all the opinions on this site they are all very good hearted.

bbuis

I do have very good teachers in the house with me. I don't think anything would turn out as great as it is without them. So I must say thank you to Mike and Lynn (MLKWoodworking) also.

Top Bottom