Plexiglass?????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

okiebugg

There was a thread on this website the other night about Plexiglass/acetone and using the liquid to melt the plexi. I copied and saved, and now can't find it.

Well, I've melted the plexi, but don't know where to go from there. Thanks in advance

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

you should PM "Rjones", he is the guy who i originally heard about it from. I wish i could give you some insight, but I never tried it, A.D.D. took over that day and I'm sure some fly on the wall grabbed my attention and that was the end of that thought.

hewunch

Put some in a small dispenser and get it about the consistency of medium CA (tomato soup).

fold up a paper towel as an applicator and put a small puddle on the applicator

In a single motion with the lathe spinning slow start on the bushing and swipe from one side to the other. Let dry (it shouldn't take long)
Swipe the other way with more mixture. You can use the same spot IF it is still wet.

Keep doing this until you have several coats (think 15+). Allow to harden and take a razor blade and cut the bushings loose. If you have bubbles in your hardened finish, scrape off and try again.

Buff out using micro mesh.

Oh, and I find it sticks best if you start off with a sealer coat of thin CA

Last edited:

okiebugg

Thanks Jim15

This was posted by Chris (thewishman). It's post number 6.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=83904

Since I've been experimenting with this stuff, I found a stiff learning curve from the beginning
until you can do it with some semblance of correctness. Viscosity is the No. 1 consideration. I thin the mixture till it is like a thin tomato soup and get on fine

Top Bottom