Plexiglass finish holding up?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Parrott

I have read numerous articles and posts here and other forums on the plexiglass / acetone finish. I've experimented, and so far really like the results. For me the fumes are more tolerable than CA and the cost is much lower.

What I'd like to know is how does it hold up over time when compared to other finishes and CA in particular. So for those of you that have tried or used this method I'd really appreciate hearing from you.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Now here is a technique you do not hear much about any more. It was a huge rage at one time. I would be interested in seeing some reports also but would not be surprised if there are none or maybe just a few. It brings back some memories. I have never tried but followed all the posts on it at the time.

Maybe you could give us a little rundown on your method or maybe even do an article for the library. It is another form of finishing. Give us a little background as to why you tried and what your opinions are and if you have used CA which it sounds like you have, compare the two. Thanks for bringing it up again.

I've never used the plexiglas finish on a pen, but paint the insides of my wood goblets with a solution... haven't had any feedback as to how it holds up, but 3-4 coats on the inside of my goblets seems to finish well... I have to sand after the first 2 coats as it seems to raise the grain a bit.

BigE

The wearability is going to be similar to plexiglas, as that is what the finish is....

It is softer, scratches easily, but won't shatter when dropped (like a CA finish can do if applied with too much accelerator).

Dale Parrott

jttheclockman,

I became interested after watching a Youtube video on using Minwax Wood Hardener as a stabilizing solution. A few Google searches later here I am using my own concoction as a finish. There is an article already in the IAP library and here is a LINK to another that is a little more in depth. Also more info on previous posts on this site.

BigE, Scratching easily would be a concern. Do you think it's softer than CA?

Last edited:

Akula

IMO it's softer. I messed with it several years ago. I didn't like the idea of mixing up a batch and having it sit around until I had a project ready. I really thought it was going to be great as I can get all the plexiglass I want for free. I also found out when I was ready to polish, I spent more time to get results I wanted. I went back to a CA finish for small items. I will still have a valid use but not enough for me to keep it made up at all times. The less things I have around for me to knock over, the better.

Just my experience.

BigE

Yes, the finish is softer.

I have some that I made up quite a few years back and still use it occasionally for non-pen items. I store it in a quart mason jar. I usually have to add acetone when I want to use it, though.

wob50

:cool:In my model building days ( r/c planes ) I used a mixture of epoxy and acetone to cover the thin fiberglass sheets over the wings it was able to apply with paint brush cause it was as thin as the acetone was ,just like water, when it dried it was hard as a rock but I don't know about using it for pens cause it was a little brittle on its on ( with the fiberglass sheet ) but I will try it on some cheap pen kits of just some scrap blanks to see if it is okay to used on the blanks, ( also that is when epoxy was a lot cheaper same as acetone) like 20 years ago . Well its Friday lets Party:cool:

BigE

Epoxy can work great as a finish. It is harder than the plexiglas, and more resilient. It is also more expensive and harder to put on. You can do a search for expoxy finish here.

Top Bottom