Plate and Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from holmqer

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Curly Maple Plate, turned fairly thin, generally around 1/8". It's around 11" (28 cm) in diameter. Has fantastic curl with a lot of chatoyance. Got the wood for $1 in the cut off bin at the local lumber store. Finished with Wipe-on-Poly.

Box Elder Bowl around 7" (17cm) in diameter. Almost threw this out as I had dropped it and chipped the rim, but decided to repair it and tried an experiment. Used two different finishes, one on the inside and one on the outside. One is a green recycled Whey based finish, one is Wipe on Poly. Of the people who could tell them apart by feel, most preferred the Whey based finish.

Attachments

• Curly Maple Plate 01.jpg
    Curly Maple Plate 01.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 117
  • Box Elder Bowl 01.jpg
    Box Elder Bowl 01.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 111

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks, I had turned the plate last summer, planning to pierce / airbrush it, but the figure was so nice, I could not decide what to do, and eventually just decided to keep it natural.

The bowl had been initially turned over a year ago, before I got interested in piercing and thus was way to thick for that. after dropping it and chipping the rim, I almost tossed it, but put it on the shelf and forgot about it. My recent experiments with the Whey based finish inspired me to glue the chip back in and return the piece before applying two different finishes. It had enough natural red color that any airbrushing would have been a detriment.

Top Bottom