Plans for Display boxes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rjwolfe3

Was wondering if there are any plans available to make individual boxes for pen/pencil sets? Looked on the forums and didn't see anything listed. Was hoping to make them rather then buy.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jjudge

A dangling preposition is something up with which I shall not put!

And ...
I've also thought about making my own boxes except for:
1- what he said
and
2- a recent poll at fountain pen network(.com) noted that most folks didn't care about a box.

-- joe

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by jjudge

A dangling preposition is something up with which I shall not put!

And ...
I've also thought about making my own boxes except for:
1- what he said
and
2- a recent poll at fountain pen network(.com) noted that most folks didn't care about a box.

-- joe

Bravo!! I could not have put it more awkwardly correct myself!! :D

VisExp

I have made some. I just planed a 3/4 board of maple down to around 5/8". Crosscut it to about 8". Routed a groove in each face with a 3/4" core bit. I used these mini brass hinges

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/bhinge.html

After making some of these boxes I have no idea how they are able to sell them for the price they do! I kinda figured that going in to the project but I wanted to make them myself as the box and pen set were a Christmas gift to my father in law. It took hours to make a couple of boxes.

DSCN1995.jpg

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Your time is worth more than what they pay someone in China to bang out plain boxes unless you have something very special in mind.

I am planning to make a gift for a couple who opened a cheese shop to celebrate their 5th year in business. The pen box will look like a wedge cut from a wheel of cheese, with their logo and names on it. It will hold a pair of pens and a cheese knife. Other than something unusual like that, I would just buy a simple box.

Hosspen

I'm trying to get my pens to think outside the box too.

On the other hand, that box that Keith made is really cool.

Any other unusual ideas out there for unique pen holders or boxes?

alamocdc

I've made a few boxes as well, but like the others who have, I can buy then cheaper. If you want to look at some custom made boxes, I have one or two in my album and Peter (Wood-of-one-kind) has several (at least he used to). Not sure about others.

Rick_G

I've made a few myself much like the one Keith shows above. Main difference in mine was 2 grooves to hold a pen and pencil and I used flocking in the groove. Easier than sanding the end where the router bit always seems to burn. At less than $5 each I can't afford the time to make them unless they are gifts for family.

tntwoodcrafts

Hi all

I live in BC where our forests have been ravaged by the Mountain Pine Beetle of which has killed acres and acres of our Pine trees. I produce pens and boxes from this wood which have been a boon for me in that it create a "valu added" product. Although the wood I use doesn't create much of a dent in the millions of board feet that is cut annually by our mills, it does offer me the opportunity to make something unique that I have not seen anywhere else. These items keep me very busy making the boxes and pens/pencils that sell very well to locals and are shipped and transported by tourists that frequent my area. I make 150 - 200 boxes at a time and once they are made I concentrate on the pens/pencils. The boxes themselves are unfinished so to display the beauty of this "blue wood" and any finish would add to the cost of manufacturing and to the consumer.

I made this this pen box tutorial for many members of another board and would like to share it here also. It's nothing fancy but variation of profile etc. can be altered to the builders preference.

http://tntwoodcrafts.googlepages.com:80/penboxtutorial

Thanks for looking!!

Terry

Top Bottom