Placement of Decal

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ironman123

I have been trying to place a decal completely around a painted tube and having problems. It is a Texas Flag water slide decal sized to go the circumference of the tube.

Any tips to keep it straight as I go around the tube? Also, the edges try to curl over. I have tried six and have become frustrated.

Thanks,

Ray

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeweler53

4240 Wellington Loop SE, Lacey, WA, 98503
Are you "sealing" the decal with a top coat? That makes the decal "thicker" and a little more stable.

Is the pen blank wet? If not the decal will "set" the moment it touches and you will no chance of repositioning.

As a last resort you might want to try this:
Working very quickly apply a thin coat of Plexitone to the frond of the decal. Immediately place a piece of flexible clear plastic (like a page protector) on it and add a weight to hold the two together and let it dry (10 min?)
Soak as usual, remove the paper leaving the decal attached to the plastic, the wrap that around the pen. Remove the plastic when the decal has adhered.

Good Luck!

Dick

ironman123

Dick, thanks for your reply. I sprayed a top coat but will try spray, let dry, spray, let dry for 2 or 3 times and try that.

Oops, n o I didn't wet the tube, I will try that.

Thanks for the advice. I will try those.

Thanks,

Ray

Carl Fisher

If you wet the tube, you'll have plenty of working time. However there is a point where moving it too much and spending too much time positioning will kill the adhesive DAMHIKT!

ironman123

OK, thanks to Dick and Carl I got my decal on my painted white brass tube. Now I need to seal it before putting on CA.

I have heard some say "Modge Podge" from Hobby Lobby. It had 3 coats of top coat clear before placement.

Is the Modge Podge the way to go?

Then I assume I need a few coats of thin CA and "ump-teen" coats of Med or thick CA to get to proper OD for finishing.

Hope that is all ok. Anything to add is appreciated.

Ray

Carl Fisher

I assume you sealed it with decal bonder before applying it to the tube? So if you are at the point of putting a finish on, just apply CA right over the top. I typically do a few coats of thin just to make sure the decal is good and set before moving to medium.

Modge Podge works well if you are trying to apply something like stamps, or printed paper, etc...

ironman123

Thanks for the quick post Carl.

I have 3 coats of Testors Bonder Spray and 2 coats of Krylon Crystal Clear Gloss over that. Then put it on the tube.

You think it will be OK to just put the CA straight over that?

Ray

Carl Fisher

Might even be overkill. I usually go CA right over the applied decal that started with only 1 coat of bonding spray before applying.

Then I assume I need a few coats of thin CA and "ump-teen" coats of Med or thick CA to get to proper OD for finishing.

Hope that is all ok. Anything to add is appreciated.

Ray

Ummm...if you put that decal directly on the tube, you will need to cast it in clear PR or Alumilite. I can't imagine how long it would take to build up to the size with just CA...and for that matter how it would look.

wouldentu2?

It takes about 10 coats of CA to cover the decal. It depends on how many times you sand it.
Also, no more than 2 thin coats of the bonder spray or the decal will want to curl when applied, and applying some coats of CA sanded and polished before adding the decal will make the decal edges disappear.

ALA

It takes about 10 coats of CA to cover the decal. It depends on how many times you sand it.
Also, no more than 2 thin coats of the bonder spray or the decal will want to curl when applied, and applying some coats of CA sanded and polished before adding the decal will make the decal edges disappear.

I've been sanding but not polishing...I'll have to try that next time. Thanks!

Top Bottom