PITH thoughts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scotty

I just boxed up my pen to send out. I have been involved in several swaps, and I have enjoyed each and every one, but I struggle with each one too. Each pen I make for a swap, I seem to go over it and over it. I know that it is going to another pen maker, most likely with much better skills than mine. I try to make each pen the best I can, but I especially want to make the swap pens well. Everyone I have swapped with has been very gracious, but I always seem to get a much better pen than I send out.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I just boxed up my pen to send out. I have been involved in several swaps, and I have enjoyed each and every one, but I struggle with each one too. Each pen I make for a swap, I seem to go over it and over it. I know that it is going to another pen maker, most likely with much better skills than mine. I try to make each pen the best I can, but I especially want to make the swap pens well. Everyone I have swapped with has been very gracious, but I always seem to get a much better pen than I send out.
You have not swapped with me yet!:eek::wink:

Atherton Pens

I agree with your thoughts. As I prepared my pen for shipment tonight, I have much the same feelings. It seems from my perspective that I always receive a much better pen than I send. I too, try to make a special effort for my PITH swap but feel another penmaker critique it more closely than others and hope they don't find too many flaws as I am still working toward perfection. That being said, I really enjoy seeing other's work and will continue to participate in IAP PITHs.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
On a more serious note, as long as the maker puts his best into it, I think most everyone will treasure any pen they receive in a swap. We are often our own worst critics and often know the mistakes we made even if 99.99 % of the population would not notice. Now yes I suppose another pen maker might fall into the .01 % but I'll bet you get less of a critique than you might think.

Rick P

On a more serious note, as long as the maker puts his best into it, I think most everyone will treasure any pen they receive in a swap. We are often our own worst critics and often know the mistakes we made even if 99.99 % of the population would not notice. Now yes I suppose another pen maker might fall into the .01 % but I'll bet you get less of a critique than you might think.

Yep.

Drstrangefart

I think I made 15 different pens before I settled on one to mail out. I kept trying to find one that would hold up to whatever I got back. I settled on one that had some amazing qualities and a lot of new learning experience in it. First time I ever touched a coping saw. Still on pins and needles waiting for delivery confirmation. I don't know if I could have shipped it any farther away....

IPD_Mr

One of the benefits that you learn when doing a swap is where your talent is compared to others. While some may excel at finish other is may be fit or segmenting. There are so many aspects to this craft that most can never master all of the skills. The beautiful aspect of this is you almost always learn no matter where you think you are compared to the pen you receive. I fondly remember my first swap and Jim if you are still around I hope that you enjoyed the swap as well as our emails and talks.

firewhatfire

My PITH went to Australia this time. It was graciously recieved and as others here have stated I always learn something in the process. I make alot of messes before it gets close to right. I do enjoy them as my skills improve with each one. I am still awaiting my pen to arrive. I have no doubt about whether I will like it as I plan on creating a special place with my first pen I ever recieved in a trade. In the end I hope that I need a several cases for pens that I have recieved in trades and they all have a story attached.

Phil

SDB777

This is the reason I haven't done a PITH yet, my skills are not acceptable to me yet....never mind the 'eye of a master'. Now if we could pick a 'level'(pro's for the pro's, intermediate for intermediate, etc....)

Scott (got a ways to go here) B

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
If you wait until your perfect your pen you will miss out on a lot of the fun and purpose of a PITH. Its true that not every pen is a masterpiece but it only has to be the best you can do. Not the best someone else can do. I know I send one out hoping that the recipiant appreciates the effort I made and I look forward to seeing what someone else has put their efforts into. I realize that some members have declining skills from age or health or vision or are just learning the skills as penmakers. What the Pith really does is force you to reject the "thats good Enough" pen and improve on your skills for design and craftsmanship. It makes you a better pen maker.

penmaker1967

i agree with you on doing the best pen you can do evene if the person who is getting your pen has been doing pens longer that you they still get something out of it because you had done the pen just for them. i have done 3 piths so far nad have gained alot of info from t doing it. but i have one thing that has been on my mine and i dont want to make anyone mad for saying this. so if i offend some one i am very sorry. like i said this was my 3rd pith event and i have seen where people say good things about the pen they recive on the forum which i thin is a good thing to do it builds the person confedience ( not spelled right ) in doing pens but i have yet to get any comments on the thread about a pen that i had made. dont get me wrong i think that people should comment on the pens that come out of the swap i am just saying that i have never got one either good or bad . if i have offend anyone i am sorry and forgive me for doing it. but this was something that i had to get off my chest i will contuine to do swaps regardless. thanks for listening

Scotty

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. I am kind of glad that others struggle with the same thoughts. I do enjoy the swaps, and have made some good friends through it. I have had nothing but encouragement and good things happen to me because of IAP members. Thanks to all of you for helping us "struggling artists"! And thanks to everyone for putting on the PITH! Merry Christmas to each of you.

GoodTurns

Every pen I have received in a PITH or other swap is a treasure to me. It represents someone's efforts and generosity. I have a pen box made by a local guy to display them and they are on the top shelf of my display cabinet for everyone to see and appreciate. I know the first pens I sent are nowhere near the standards I hold myself today, but I know I didn't do anything wrong....they were the best I could make when I made them!

danrs

This has been my first PITH experience as I am fairly new to pen turning (or turning in general). I have definitely been blessed to see what a great pen looks like and therefore challenged to make as good a pen as I could for the exchange.

In general this has lead me to pay greater attention to what you guys are offering in the various forums. Thanks to all of you.

:tongue:

danrs

Carl Fisher

I tend to think every pen I turn is my best effort for that point in time and given materials. As we improve, so does that assumption. PITH pens are very much like check points in a persons creative career. This was my fist PITH and looking back at the pen I sent, I was very proud of it at the time. Now I see 50 things I could have improved on but at that point in time it was my best effort.

I treat the PITH I received with the same thought process. The PITH pen I received was the best effort of the time from the person who created it. As such it is treated with as much respect and cherished the same as the best pen that may be put forward from a contest winner or guild member.

Personally I don't agree with putting a division in the PITH because who's to say who is a pro, who is an intermediate, etc...the fact that someone had the courage to put their foot forward and give it their best is enough for me.

Ok, off my soap box now :D

ve3bax

Personally I don't agree with putting a division in the PITH because who's to say who is a pro, who is an intermediate, etc...the fact that someone had the courage to put their foot forward and give it their best is enough for me.

Ok, off my soap box now :D

I'm with Carl on this one... this was my first PITH, and im pretty new to turning, and this pushed me to really up my game... of course, at the same time i had the pen done for over a month and it sat on my dining room table where i would look at it, scrutinize it and think of all the things i could have done to improve it... i also took a pile of pictures from every angle imaginable to help with the next one. all around its a great learning experience and i had a ton of fun doing it (Even if i did agonize over sending it for way too long :cool:) if we all had fun, challenged ourselves and sent out the best work to our recipients id say mission accomplished :cool:

--Dave

Justturnin

This was my second PITH/Pen Swap. I have been turning pens for about 3 months now and have grown leaps and bounds in that time. I am with you on what I send out, I made 3 pens before sending my favorite. I was proud of my pen and the wood I chose but I am sure there were flaws the recipient saw that I missed but that is part of it. You will get your pen and notice things with it, mabe it is something you are struggling with to. I keep my first Pen Swap pen on my desk and use it daily. I am expecting my PITH pen any day as it is in the mail now and will retire the other to a much earned spot with my collection. As long as I am a welcome member here I plan on participating in these becasue I grow more with these pens than any other becasue I know one of you will get it......and that scares the hell out of me.

ToddMR

This is my 3rd PITH since I started turning in April/May of 2010. I always look forward to participating. I try different things each time. That's the fun in it. I haven't been able to be around much with getting up at 4am during the week, plus starting back to school to try to stay motivated, which is hard to do at 37. I go with whatever is decided on the PITHs I have done 1 pairing with skill levels, and 2 without. I tend to like the without personally. I love the PITH. If for nothing more than to share my work with someone else who shares a common interest. I still have much to learn in my turning infancy and the PITH is a great way to keep on learning. Thanks to everyone who is active in it.

Rick_G

I've enjoyed nearly every PITH I've joined. I know each pen received is a sample of the persons best work. They all sit at my desk and I rotate and use them as the mood strikes me. Most of us also fill out the box with local wood blanks. What's local to me is exotic somewhere else in the world. The sender is brought to mind again later when I turn the blank into a pen often with a local to him wood that I have never heard of before receiving it. PITH's are just plain fun.

soligen

Now if we could pick a 'level'(pro's for the pro's, intermediate for intermediate, etc....)

Been there, done that, might need to revisit the idea.:tongue:

What you'll find is that some of the experienced pen turners delibertely sign up for the beginer category. I am thinking it is to send something that may help inspire a beginner. This type of person trasures best effort no matter what the level of the person. It's just the kind of person many of the people are around here.

BSea

This was my 1st PITH, and I've really enjoyed making the pen. I tried something new (for me), and I had all kinds of setbacks. I know I spent more time on this pen than any other pen I've done, and that includes my one & only kitless. What I sent out wasn't perfect, but I liked it. And I believe the recipient appreciated the effort. And I am really looking forward to the next PITH.

Scotty

Yeah, I don't think much of having beginners and experts in different parings. I think we are equal when we do our best. I just wish my best was better!! Guess that is why I started this thread.

hehndc

I have been in every PITH since i joined. It has been one of the best parts of being a member here.

As many have said, I give the best I can give and know I will get the best from my partner.

As a result of the PITH, I have met great people.

Steve

Brooks803

Yeah, I don't think much of having beginners and experts in different parings. I think we are equal when we do our best. I just wish my best was better!! Guess that is why I started this thread.

Don't worry too much...I am sending mine to Brooks!!!! :eek:

And I'm anxiously awaiting it! No pressure though :tongue: I have several PITH pens in my display case and I'll be more than happy to add yours to the group!

bitshird

This is the reason I haven't done a PITH yet, my skills are not acceptable to me yet....never mind the 'eye of a master'. Now if we could pick a 'level'(pro's for the pro's, intermediate for intermediate, etc....)

Scott (got a ways to go here) B

This is the reason you SHOULD do a swap. I have received several fantastic pens, far better than the ones I send out, I do find the partners preference as to type, Roller Ball or Fountain, and always use a nice kit and wood, usually a Statesmen or Gent, and some scarce timber, BUT they are pretty much just Nice pens.
I've gotten back every thing from segmented pen done with aluminum feathers in a killer magnetic box, A scratch made Stainless steel pen from Australia, and just lots of very nice pens, One Ehh but the guy had only been turning a short time, IT'S still in my Special display.
I don't care what I get, the true joy of a PITH or any swap is Doing it, and trying your best. even if it's just a very nicely done Slim Line. as long as you put a little love in the pen. that makes them special!!
And forget the class thing, been tried and so what, you can learn buy looking at what you receive, and by pushing your limits, getting more proficient does not come from staying in your comfort zone, it takes stepping off into the void, and hoping there's something there to hold you up. If you try, you will if you don't try you will still get somewhere, and the one after that well who knows.

Top Bottom