Piston filler test piece

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Twissy

Twissy

My nib supplier sent me this piston filler mechanism to have a play with. Internally it is threaded to take a JoWo nib carrier which was nice! The other threads I had to make taps for.
Based the styling on a pre-war Pelikan. Not sure about it yet but it's growing on me. Used some cheap acrylic for the tester, but have some lovely vintage stuff lined up for the final version. Used a vintage Conway Stewart clip I had kicking around.
Would really appreciate criticisms on this one.

IMG_1326.JPGIMG_1327.JPGIMG_1328.JPGIMG_1329.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

I don't know enough about fountain pens to make any comments.

I do know what I like and this pen looks wonderful to me. The color is one of my favorites and things seem to blend very nicely.

seamus7227

i have been trying to find a supplier of those piston fillers! I love the options of pen design that this style provides! Are these available to the public??

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Nice pen John. I like the style and, of course anything to do with Pelikan. I hadn't realized this refill existed. Thanks for sharing.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Brian will order them for you. They are not cheap. I have one in my possession to build parts for from a client. They are exceptional quality. And I have had the taps made up for the front end threads. Im working on making tools to fit the nuts in the back. Oh and nice pen John.

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
attachment.php

In the picture the front threads are 9.4 x.75. THe feed assembly is a#6 Jowo
the light metalic blue is glass 8.9mm od x 31mm long, the brass part of the tube is 8.95mm x 32mm long. The nut in blue is steel and it is 9.96mm od and is left handed. The yellow brass nut in the back has a hex shaped hole to slide on the shaft it is 9.03mm od at the shoulder and 7.85mm x .75 threads. An 8 x .75 tap will work. The red nut on the very end is a rounded nut with grooves. Thats one of the tools Im making as well as a tool to fit the blue nut. It also has small grooves in it to grab for tightening.
The overall length with the #6 feed assembly removed is 86.6mm

Attachments

• special piston filler.jpg
    special piston filler.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 428

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
more info on the piston filler.

Here is some more technical information on this refill mechanism
attachment.php

attachment.php

As I stated in my other post, The "brass part hexagonal inside" will work with 8mm x .75 threads.
I have made the nut drives for the steel slotted nut (shown in blue) and that round slotted nut at the back. (shown in red)
They are available as a set on my website.

Attachments

• Scan.jpg
    Scan.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 330
  • special piston filler dimensions.jpg
    special piston filler dimensions.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:

Twissy

Cheers Mike.....I may just have to order them!! What is the OD of the nut driver for the steel ring? A couple I have ordered are going to require that the ring is recessed about 10mm.
In the process of making another now. The 9.4mm tap made for the front is perfect for acrylic......much too tight using M3.:mad:

Top Bottom