Pipe Tamper?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jon-wx5nco

Jon-wx5nco

I'm not for sure if this is the correct forum for this post or not, but I will give it a shot.

Does anyone offer a pipe tamper kit? I saw, and ordered some cigar punch kits from Wood-N-Whimsies. I think a pipe tamper would go over extremely well.

Just a thought
Jon

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TXPhi67

How about making your own? I've made the metal tamping part from large nails that I cut, polished, and ground to shape. Then turn the handle and drill/glue in.

Done, dirt cheap, and fun!

Just a thought.

greggas

I stumbled upon a website about a week ago that had them...took me a while to figure out what it was ( not a smoker)...I erased my browser's memory since then so I was unable to find the site...Will keep trying and forward if I have any luck

Jon-wx5nco

Awesome, thanks all. I started making one last night out of antler and Cherry. I will post it when it gets done

glycerine

How about making your own? I've made the metal tamping part from large nails that I cut, polished, and ground to shape. Then turn the handle and drill/glue in.

Done, dirt cheap, and fun!

Just a thought.

Or possibly a small brass "end cap" from the hardware store. I bought a pipe tamper a while back that appears to be made from acrylic and the metal on the end looks like brass.

Jon-wx5nco

Or possibly a small brass "end cap" from the hardware store. I bought a pipe tamper a while back that appears to be made from acrylic and the metal on the end looks like brass.
Thats not a bad idea! I hope to make a trip to the store this weekend and take a look around.

jskeen

you might check the hardware store for brass bolts. Easy to round the head over, polish and glue into a handle of your choice. You might even consider turning down the shaft except for the last few threads at the head, and shaping it into a "spoon" for a reamer, and gluing a brass nut into your handle. Ta Dah! tamper with hidden reamer!

ahoiberg

i've made one pipe tamper... i wish i could find the picture of it, but i think it's on my old PC that is not functioning at the moment. what i did was get a piece of brass stock (i think 1/2"), cut off a small chunk, put it in the 1/2" collet and used a file to made a little tenon on one end. i then drilled a small hole in a piece of PR, epoxied in the brass tamping end and tried to turn it. the PR got REALLY hot and damn near melted, so I had a creative opportunity to freehand shape it on a sanding disc chucked on my lathe. it actually came out really cool and way outside my normal creativity realm. and it works great. i like the idea of using antler, let us know how it comes out. there are some other pipe tamper makers with websites, i'd recommend checking those out for some ideas.

Top Bottom