Pipe question.....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MatthewZS

MatthewZS

So I've been trying to get some information about a pipe repair. I've emailed a few places/people and either heard nothing back or gotten back kind of "canned" responses that left a bad taste....... The specifics of the question I have cross over enough to pen making that I thought I'd pose it here.

I have a Bjarne freehand pipe with a lucite stem. It originally had 2 decorative "beads" turned into the base of the stem closest the pipe, but during a move some time back the stem broke right between the two beads...a few sliver-y pieces sheared off and where lost, so simply glueing was out and I sort of put it away at the time and didn't fiddle with it. There are places I can have a NEW stem made, but I'd like if possible to preserve the original stem or what's left of it, and I'm curious if it would be possible to get the appropriate resin or whatever it would be called..... some color to match as close as possible and re-cast an "extension" to then turn down on a lathe to match the original? Would the newly poured resin adhere sufficiently to the existing broken stem surface or would it just snap lose?

Thanks for any info the "blank casters" in the group might have.... or anyone for that matter.

:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

So I've been trying to get some information about a pipe repair. I've emailed a few places/people and either heard nothing back or gotten back kind of "canned" responses that left a bad taste....... The specifics of the question I have cross over enough to pen making that I thought I'd pose it here.

I have a Bjarne freehand pipe with a lucite stem. It originally had 2 decorative "beads" turned into the base of the stem closest the pipe, but during a move some time back the stem broke right between the two beads...a few sliver-y pieces sheared off and where lost, so simply glueing was out and I sort of put it away at the time and didn't fiddle with it. There are places I can have a NEW stem made, but I'd like if possible to preserve the original stem or what's left of it, and I'm curious if it would be possible to get the appropriate resin or whatever it would be called..... some color to match as close as possible and re-cast an "extension" to then turn down on a lathe to match the original? Would the newly poured resin adhere sufficiently to the existing broken stem surface or would it just snap lose?

Thanks for any info the "blank casters" in the group might have.... or anyone for that matter.

:)

Hi Matthew,

Those are the sort of challenges that I never can turn my head away, self punishment maybe but there is a certain amount of improvisation and "jack of all trades" knowledge/experience that does work very when in cases like these.

There are a few different way to restore that stem and I would prefer to keep any possible suggestions to, after you show me/us a couple of pics of the damaged area/stem.

So If you could just do that, it would help immensely...!

Cheers
George

knifecut

Did it look similar to this?

1_c20dc816d8912145d678e78a4008c9bb.jpg

MatthewZS

Sorry, I sort of lost track of this post after making it. Following is a photo. I at one point several years ago cut a new tenon onto the remainder so as to continue using it. You can see in the photo the yellow outline is where the original "second bead" and tenon was. The orange is roughly where it broke/sheared and the blue arrow indicates where the logo is (on the backside out of the shot) which I'd like to preserve .... the reason for this endeavor:)

And thanks for any information.

Attachments

• stem.jpg
    stem.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 139
Top Bottom