Pink and Purple Lizard - Revealed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Fangar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fangar

I had a strange dream last night. I dreamt of a pink and purple lizard that ran under my closet door. When I woke up, I found this pen lying on the floor. :D It has a ton of depth to it that I had a hard time capturing in the photo (As usual for me).

This one was a hoot to make. Any ideas what I did? Not too big of a deal really.

pinkpurplecigar.jpg

Here is a closup of it's Skin!

closeup.jpg

Cheers,

Fangar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Very nice James! Looks like the skin is 3D, so I'd guess it's real, and that it was dyed purple. The pink is a pink PR. Am I close?

PenWorks

Very nice looking blank and pens James.
Did you mix up your medication last night, to be dreamin about pink & purple lizards [:D] Pass some this way.... [:D]

alamocdc

I'm with Lou. THe first thing I thought of was a pink and purple crackle paint on the tubes encased in clear PR. Nice looking pen regardless, James. I think the black was the right color for it. [^]

Fangar

Hello all,

It is wood. Well at least underneath. [;)]. I had to do something to spruce up an ugly piece of yellow heart that I had.

As Anthony knows it definately isn't resin. My last attempt at a clear cast ended up in a melted pile of goo when the plastic container melted from waaayyy too much heat. (Too much hardener I guess). I think Lou was closest with his guess at the crackle paint.

Anyway here goes... This is what you need:

hint.jpg

The pen started out as a Yellow Heart Blank. I turned it to size as normal (A little undersized actually). Then I took it off the madrel and applied a light thin coat of spray adhesive. I then coated the blank with three different colors of Embossing powder into a patchwork type pattern. Then I torched the little bugger until It flowed where I wanted. The texture was great, and pretty easy to control. Then back on the mandrel for a thick coating of CA to smooth it out. Then my usual polish and buff with White Diamond. I like the results.

Cheers,

James

JimGo

WOW! COOL idea James! I never thought about heating the embossing powder to make it more solid. I wonder if you can generate enough heat by friction without it sanding away.

VERY nifty design!

swm6500

Very nice James. I have looked at the embossing powders and thought about trying, but have not got to it yet. I will definitely have to try in the future.

swm6500

Originally posted by btboone
<br />I haven't heard of embossing powder. How is it normally used?

Bruce, it is a powder they use in crafts. Sometimes they make a design, put on glue and add the embossing powder, the heat set it and it gives a raised image. Some people will color a complete picture on a card with it. Like most craft products, there are many ways that people use it.

BigRob777

James,
Now this is the most fun post I have seen since the "what do you look like?" post from Bev. Thanks. You really had everyone guessing. I'm going to show my ignorance now. I thought it was a real lizard skin, with a multicolored PR. Oh well, it was fun.

woodscavenger

Where the heck do you guys come up with this stuff? Everytime I think I've heard it all something like this pops up. BTW, we don't need to know about any of you other dreams....that could get down right scary.

Fangar

Originally posted by woodscavenger
<br />Where the heck do you guys come up with this stuff? Everytime I think I've heard it all something like this pops up. BTW, we don't need to know about any of you other dreams....that could get down right scary.

LOL... You mean the one where I show up to work wearing nothing but a workbelt and round nosed scraper! [:0]

Glad you guys liked it. I have been getting some great compliments on the pen in person. Might try another sometime. I have a few other things in the works too. I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks again for all the nice coomments.
James

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom