pine pen---really

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Gary Max

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Max

Ran into this blank over the Thanksgiving weekend and had to have it.
It was funny because afterwards the guy told me it was PINE. Tree was cut in 1872 and was over a 100 years old then. The grain is unreal.
Just thought you might enjoy it.

20041127183827_Pinepen1.jpg

20041127183944_Pinepen3.jpg

20041127184032_Pinepen2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WoodChucker

Wow, I've got about 500 BF of kiln dried red pine, I wonder if any of it would look that good? Guess you didn't have any problems with the pitch running, hey? Doesn't seem like it would get that hot just turning it on a lathe. Anyway, another great pen and thanks for sharing!

R.T.

Daniel

this caused me to think of something that I know from my construction experience. not sure it realtes to the grain in your pen but I woudl think it does.
Not only is wood for building home getting more expensive, it is getting weaker so you need more of it. the reason for this is most lumber dose not come from from naturally grown sources. it is farmed. it is also force grown or is a hybred that was breed for it's quick growth. fast growth produces weaker woods.with wider growth rings etc. the situatioin is so bad that the uniform building code had to re write what size lumber has to be used to span areas. a floor that could be loist with 2X8 now require a 2X10. hince the new flooring systems that are basiclly a piece of plywood on it's edge with a nailing strip on each edge. stronger, cheaper, and you can use smaller dimensions.
so there relly is something to Old Growth Lumber. remember that the next time you are going to pay over $4.00 for a 2X4 at home depot.

Don in Tally

I concur, great looking pens!!!
I am trying to some arrested deteriation on the log cabin that I was born in and there is some heart pine is it. I have made each of my brothers and sisters a pen of some of the salvaged wood. Even the wood is over 100 years old it still has sap running out of it today. My wife says she can till smell the sap after I finish the pens.
I really like the grain and color of your pens, nice work.....

Gary Max

The amount of grain is the big trick.
I looked through several peices and these where the two I bought.
The first one I drilled blew up in the drill press---remember it's pine and wants to be babied like any other soft wood.
I reset my drill press and maxed out the rpm's one the second plank.
Thanks for all the kind words about my pine pen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom