pine cones

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elody21

Is it best to stabilize your pine cones before casting them?
Last time I cast pine cones I had some problems with moisture. I am not taking chances this time. I have had the tiny cones in the oven on 200 for 8 hours and plan to do a couple more hours just before casting them. some came off of the trees and are really tiny and probably still green inside.
I was thinking though that if I stabilized them first it might work better.
what does everyone think?
Alice

I always dry & stabilize anything organic before casting if possible. I've had a few failures when I haven't, including one this weekend where I cast tiny pieces of wood that have been in my shop for 1-2 years that I was certain would be dry and suitable to cast. I was wrong. Trying to save a day set me back a week.

robutacion

I also prefer to stabilise first anything that I'm going to cast, the issue that can occur is that depending on what you are stabilizing, in this case, are pine cones a good example of what can happen if the cones/other similar are cooked/cured wrapped in foil and in an incorrect position, any excess Juice should be able to run off the piece and not get stuck, particularly in places where the casting resin will fail to penetrate, as the blank is turned, you may find voids or areas where the Juice has harden spoiling the general appearance of the final product.

Good luck,:wink:

Cheers
George

Top Bottom