Pine Cone Blank - Semi-Sucess Story

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from allisnut

allisnut

This may need to be in Penturning instead of SOYP, because I think this is more of a 'look how I screwed this up' instead of a 'look how awesome I did' post.

DSCN4524_zps9b7c6fde.jpg

DSCN4523_zpsce042022.jpg

I received, with much entusiasm, a box from Exotics on Saturday containing two cholla blanks, two pine cone blanks, a reincarnated wood blank, and a worthless wood blank. A pine cone blank made it on the lathe first simply because this particular blank didn't have to be reverse painted. The reincarnated wood blank, which looks like amboyna burl, is next in line.

Anyway, this was my first attempt with mixed media blanks, other than a cholla blank. The blank turned fairly well with a sharp skew. There was one air bubble, which was plainly stated as a possibility in the listing. I successfully filled it with dust and ca.

My real problems came with trying to rush through the CA finish. I wound up sanding the blank back to bare wood after my first finishing attempt went sour and starting over. I got the finish applied again tonight successfully.

I pressed in the barrel couplers, and realized I had built up too much finish and had a ridge at both ends. Then I looked closer, and realized I had cracked the blank on the resin end. I think I let the coupling get slightly cocked, which probably stretched the tube enough to cause stress cracks in the resin.

DSCN4525_zps70355307.jpg

DSCN4526_zpsd514f9b1.jpg

DSCN4527_zps35ad6ae1.jpg

So, in conclusion, here is what I should have learned from this but probably didn't:

1 - When working with expensive blanks with tons of potential, don't be in a hurry. Make a cocobolo twist pen instead. Then you are out $2.75 max.
2 - Pay attention to your finish build up.
3 - pay attention when pressing parts into tubes - resins aren't as forgiving as wood.

The finish build up isn't too bad, but I noticed it. The cracks are almost invisible unless you are in strong direct light, but I know they are there. I will probably take it apart, turn the barrel a little smaller, and try again.

Thanks for looking, I hope this was somewhat helpful to someone.

Adam

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edstreet

This kinda looks like a bowl of captain crunch cereal that I once took some photo's of in a glass bowl.

On another note sorry that you had air bubbles, cracks and the like. Is it something you can disassemble and have another go at it? Also seems to be some cracks next to the air bubble as well?

Been there..

Been there, done something similar..have "T" shirt.:frown: I enjoy quick results
but ususally end up being frustrated when I get in too big of a hurry and
compromise the overall quality of a piece. I finally sold one of my early pens that I knew was cracked. It was hard to see, but I knew it was there! I showed the customer before the sale & he thought it was a unique quality of being handcrafted....I think sometimes we are too critical of our work...great looking pen!:)

Charlie_W

Some times I will file the inside of a tube if the hardware looks like it will be a tight fit. I would rather put a spot of epoxy on a fitting than fracture a nice blank.

allisnut

I'm not sure what caused the longitudinal lines in the picture of the filled bubble - probably a reflection from my shop lights. I'll probably trun it a little smaller and try again, see if thin CA will wick into the cracks and hide them.

flyitfast

:ghost:That blank is "spooky"! Besides what happened to you, maybe it was the ghost looking pattern near the CB on the writing part of the pen. :eek: It is haunted! A extra "Yippee Freebee" from Ed!!! :biggrin:
I really like that blank for the contrast in color and texture. Great job turning it.
I does kinda look like the bowl of cereal and milk.
Thanks for the education - more things to look out for in my learning curve.
gordon

CrimsonKeel

Ive cracked a couple and just wicked thin ca into the cracks and resanded and polished. it worked good enough to hide the cracks and there was no need to turn the finish totally off. not sure if this will work for you but it might save some time.
either way nice pen
oh one thing make sure the inside doesnt have some residue in it as that will cause those cracks.

Sometimes cracks like that can be caused by an imperfection in the end of the blank. If something was at that spot? There is a tremendous amount of pressure between the hardware and the blank when you are pressing things together. If you have any little thing or the blank isn't quite square you can really do damage. If the tube and the blank are truly flush this shouldn't happen. Now the good news is that if you wanted to do it you could trim back that blank and add a piece of wood there. If you did this on both ends you would just have a more custom pen. I would look at a flaw like this as a chance to experiment.

Top Bottom