Phenolic Resin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jcreasey

jcreasey

I made this pen and box set for my oldest son's birthday this weekend.
The box is made from aluminium and phenolic resin board.
The pen is made from stainless steel and phenolic resin board.
The board is used in skateboard ramps.

attachment.php

2016-06-05 23-51-15 (C).jpg

Attachments

• 2016-06-05 22-21-26 (B,Radius8,Smoothing4).jpg
    2016-06-05 22-21-26 (B,Radius8,Smoothing4).jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 958
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RKB

Very nice, extremely well done. The workmanship is amazing. Thanks for sharing. :biggrin:

Rod

Rink

Beautiful, great presentation. And the brown and aluminum is very striking. It looks like there are two channels inside the box...one for the pen, and one for...???

jcreasey

Beautiful, great presentation. And the brown and aluminum is very striking. It looks like there are two channels inside the box...one for the pen, and one for...???

I was going to do two pens but I ran out of time.
I might make him a fountain pen for christmas :)

It would have been really nice to have just milled out a nice open space for nick knacks, but it's very slow going to cut that stuff. You have to be very careful of heat as the epoxy lets go if it gets warm, so I just settled for two pen slots.

This is the second one of these boxes I have made. I think I will have to do another one now as I have a bunch of ideas about how to make it better next time.

OOPS

I really don't know which I like better..... the pen or the box! That box is gorgeous. Wow, you really have a beautiful piece there. That is definitely a heirloom. Your son should love it.

jcreasey

Fantastic workmanship I am sure your son will be bragging on this one! Did you choose this material because he skateboards?

Haha, no I used it once before and it came out really nice, so I wanted to try it again. His youngest brother is the skate board rider.

Thanks everyone for the amazing comments!

Rink

I was going to do two pens but I ran out of time.
I might make him a fountain pen for christmas :)

It would have been really nice to have just milled out a nice open space for nick knacks, but it's very slow going to cut that stuff. You have to be very careful of heat as the epoxy lets go if it gets warm, so I just settled for two pen slots.

This is the second one of these boxes I have made. I think I will have to do another one now as I have a bunch of ideas about how to make it better next time.

Great idea, an extra slot for a later pen! My son has a CNC and I toyed with the idea of CNC'ing pen boxes of various types, but no ideas as nice as what you've done. Simply stunning.

jcreasey

Great idea, an extra slot for a later pen! My son has a CNC and I toyed with the idea of CNC'ing pen boxes of various types, but no ideas as nice as what you've done. Simply stunning.

Thank you for your comments. I really appreciate everyone's feedback and I am very excited to be featured on the front page.

I just wanted to point out that I didn't use any CNC making my box. Just a manual milling machine. It is really a very simple design and the only difficulty is making sure that things do not overheat during the machining process, as the glue will release very quickly the moment it gets too hot.

thanks again,
John.

Top Bottom