Pheasant Feathers & Deer Antler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JohnU

JohnU

These Sierra pens were made from Ringneck Pheasant Feathers that I casted after being inspired by Shane Whitlocks work. The other three are Whitetail Deer antler. I am currently making a group to donate to the Illinois Taxidermist Association next weekend for their raffle and fund raiser, and as gifts to some of the guys that give me antler.

The Sierra's are a little thicker than I like them, but I wrapped the tubes in black paper then applied the feathers, so the base was a little thick before the resin and some of the feathers were getting close to the surface. Something to work out for next time. All comments welcome. Thanks

Attachments

• pheasant feathers.JPG
    pheasant feathers.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 13,975
  • deer antler.JPG
    deer antler.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Very nice!

With the black paper background, did you apply the feathers the same way as Shane?

JohnU

Very cool. Do you glue the feathers to the paper and then wrap the tube? How ever you did it, you did good.

I did it a little different than Shane. I scratch up the tubes like with all blanks, then I cut small pieces of black construction paper and coated one side with Elmers Super Strength stick glue and wrapped it on the tube. I let it dry for about a half hour while selecting the feathers. Then I start at the top of the tube, working my way down, using the same glue stick on the back side of the feathers. You have to hold them on for a minute but once they stick, they dont move. I overlap them from top to bottom and trim off the access feathers after they dry. The rest is like casting any other tube, rubber corks in each end, filled with BB's, and glued to small 1/4" ply to hold them up in the molds.

I used feathers that had been dryed for about a year in Borax so they weren't greasy. Not sure if fresh feathers would make a difference or not. Good Luck!

VisExp

The feather pens look beautiful. I've admired Shane's work for a long time. I've tried to make a feather pen but did not have much success. I'll definitely have to revisit the idea. Well done John, great work.

JohnU

How about making some of those feathers for those of us who have not mastered casting yet? I think the pens look great, nice job.
Keandkafu... Im sure there will be pleanty of guys selling these blanks soon. Not sure if I'll have much time now with my new born son. Maybe this summer. Thanks for all the comments. Im looking forward to seeing other pens from the people here on Shane's idea. Thanks again Shane for sharing your idea.

Top Bottom