PH vise-for more than pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
Short while ago before my lathe crapped out I was making a confetti lamp. Instructions were simple, take a block of wood at least 2" by 2" turn it to desired shape and drill a 1.5" diameter hole for the glass vial. So, there I am merely turning away, stopping every once in awhile to measure with my calipers. I have it almost down to size when suddenly I realize-HEY DUMMY, THE HOLE'S SUPPOSED TO BE 1.5" NOT THE LAMP![:0][:0]
So now what do I do? I figured, what the heck, I've got a taper on the wood and it's long enough, if the top gets messed up drilling I can just drill deeper and turn off the ruined part. Off to the drill I go where the vise is set up and put it in place and start drilling. Everything is going great, no chipping or splitting.:) At one point I think I've drilled deep enough and take it out and test the vial.:(Not deep enough:( I think, well I'll just get it back in place by slipping the bit inside the hole, place it in the vise, tighten it up and resume drilling. Stupid forstner bit wont go in the hole:( OK, so this is where I mess up the top, I place it in the vise, turn the drill on and proceed to drill anyway. Well, whaddya know, the bit slips into the hole perfectly:)

Put it back on the lathe for final sanding, finish it, and this is what I got.

redheart.jpg

redheart1.jpg

The final diameter is 1.544[8D]
This was done on a drill press that prior to my getting Paul's vise I considered a piece of junk. I had given up drilling on it and was drilling all my blanks on the lathe and just using the drill for a glorified pen press.

THANK YOU PAUL!

sdemars

Very nice work . . . . .

I too have asked Paul to build one of his famous Pen Blank Vises for me. I noticed while researching the vise he builds, over time it appears to change a little in appearance. . . I told him to please feel free to change anything on mine since all his changes look like improvements . . . . Not often you find someone making something now days that continues improve his product when it is already selling beyond production capability . . .:)

Top Bottom