Pet Urn

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from micharms

micharms

This is the second pet urn I have turned. It is maple burl with a soapstone lid that has a corian threaded insert so the top screws onto the urn. I enjoyed learning how to handchase threads for these. It is about 5 3/4" high by approx. 5" at its widest diameter. It has a capacity of about 31 cubic inches.

Michael

Attachments

• _MG_2735.jpg
    _MG_2735.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 151
  • _MG_2737.jpg
    _MG_2737.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 162
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

Michael:
This is BEAUTIFUL! If that sad day occurs that PenDawg1 expires before me, you'll get a simple PM, with the address and payment that simply reads "send it".

While your work it beautiful and MOST approiate, It made me stop to consider life without PenDawg1. I am glad to know that there is somebody else out there that values K9 companionship as much as I.

I pray nightly that PD1 survives me. She WILL survive, because PenWife1 loves her as much as me.! I doubt that I could survive without PD1!!!!!!

Respectfully submitted.

Last edited:
how is the corian to chase threads in? I've done a little thread chasing, but not well.. I was using maple which was a little coarse for good threads, plus my lathe won't go slow enough to do really good threads... according to Alan Batty, you need to get down to about 200-300 revs... my lathe will only go down to 450 or 500...

micharms

Thanks everyone for the comments. They are much appreciated.

Chuck - the corian is great for the threads. Up until now I have only chased the male threads but I am going to try it for some female threads today. You might have better success if you do repeated soakings of the maple threads as you chase them but the recommended woods are things like boxwood (this is what the insert in the neck of the urn is), blackwood, lignum vitae and a few others.

I would think that you should be able to chase the threads at your lathes lowest speed. I really don't know what speed I'm working. I just turn it down, try it and adjust if I feel it isn't going well. They say it is also possible to try chasing threads at too low a speed also.

It took a fair number of practice attempts but since I have lots of corian scraps it didn't matter. These are chased with 20 teeth per inch pitch which is supposed to be the easiest to learn and then go from there. It works for me so right now I have no intention of trying different pitches. Saves money!

Michael

Top Bottom