Pet urn

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from triw51

triw51

Tried my hand at something totally new for me. Was asked to make a pet urn. Took three tries (first one blew apart the second broke a chunk out).
The main body is apricot and the top is mesquite. The bark inclusions were filled with espresso grounds and CA. The finish is hand rubbed lacquer. The inside is sealed also.
The picture has some glare sorry about the quality

C and C welcome

Attachments

• urn1a.jpg
    urn1a.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 274
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

What are the urn's dimensions? How big was the pet whose ashes will be interned? Did you create a threaded lid?

I've been asked to make an urn for one of my dogs (she's still with us but getting a bit old and sickly -- like me :wink:) and my wife wants to have an urn ready.

Very nice looking urn... I have a few that I've tried and I'm not sure they turned out as nice as yours.

What are the urn's dimensions? How big was the pet whose ashes will be interned? Did you create a threaded lid?

I've been asked to make an urn for one of my dogs (she's still with us but getting a bit old and sickly -- like me :wink:) and my wife wants to have an urn ready.

Figure 1 cubic inch per 1 pound of weight of the dog... formula for volume is

cylinder = b h = pi r 2 h
cylinder.gif

Last edited:

triw51

The main body is 7" tall 5" at the widest, with the lid it is 9" tall. The urn holds 5.5 cups of rice.
I talked with a vet and he informed me that the rule of thumb is each pound the pet weighs translates to 1 cubic inch of ashes. A cup holds approx. 14.4 cubic inches. I would rather have to much room than not enough.
Hope this helps if I can help let me know.

ldubia

Very nice looking urn... I have a few that I've tried and I'm not sure they turned out as nice as yours.

cylinder.gif

That looked suspiciously like math. Ouch. My head hurts just looking at that equation.

triw51

cylinder.gif

That looked suspiciously like math. Ouch. My head hurts just looking at that equation.

LOL even though I love math and playing with numbers I did what one friend suggested and visulized a quart jar (or what ever size you need). That seemed much easier than trying to do the math for a hunk of wood.

Last edited:

walshjp17

Thanks, Bill. That helps quite a bit.

The main body is 7" tall 5" at the widest, with the lid it is 9" tall. The urn holds 5.5 cups of rice.
I talked with a vet and he informed me that the rule of thumb is each pound the pet weighs translates to 1 cubic inch of ashes. A cup holds approx. 14.4 cubic inches. I would rather have to much room than not enough.
Hope this helps if I can help let me know.

Top Bottom