Perfect Fit 338 Casing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gerryr

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryr

I've made quite a few casing pens, all using Cross transmission which I truly dislike. I have ruined probably a dozen of them pressing them into place. I've wanted to make a casing pen using a Parker refill and finally did it. This is a Perfect Fit on a 338 magnum casing. The casing will eventually be powder coated gloss black. The lower tube for the PF is shorter than the casing so the antler has a shoulder turned on it to take up the space. I had to also turn down the transmission coupler to fit into the casing. The nib is currently a hair proud of the casing, but that should be taken care of when it gets the powder coating. I'm fairly pleased with the result.

20061125201256_PFCasing-1.jpg

Comments good or bad are welcome and thanks to those who comment.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JudeA

I like the copper it looks better than most others and seince ya gonna pc it it should take up the space. What is the finish on the antler it kinda looks like acrlic. All in all well done

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Your powder coating will not take care of the "proud" nib trust me.
Now you know why I don't use the perfect fit as a rule but have done it.
Get a taper punch and widen the neck to match the nib.
Nice Job
BTW you can get the insert out before you powder coat it right?

gerryr

Thanks, Eagle and yes I can get the wood core out, it isn't yet glued in. I'll widen the neck before it gets coated.

Jude, the antler is finished with coats of thin CA.

Fangar

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />Thanks, Eagle and yes I can get the wood core out, it isn't yet glued in. I'll widen the neck before it gets coated.

Or if you like, switch out the nib for a slim line and ream the hole out just a tad to let the parker through. That is how I do it with the parker and casings. Eagle's method would work well and you really wouldn't notice the slight flare. I agree with him in my experience, the the PC will not make up for that difference. Looks great.

Fangar

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Fangar
<br />
Originally posted by gerryr
<br />Thanks, Eagle and yes I can get the wood core out, it isn't yet glued in. I'll widen the neck before it gets coated.

Or if you like, switch out the nib for a slim line and ream the hole out just a tad to let the parker through. That is how I do it with the parker and casings. Eagle's method would work well and you really wouldn't notice the slight flare. I agree with him in my experience, the the PC will not make up for that difference. Looks great.

Fangar

Fangar the 338 Winchester is much too big for a slim line nib.
Drilling out the sl nib will work but it is "iffy" In doing so sometimes the spring will compress in the nib preventing the refill from retacting.It is not just the case of the refill itself fitting in the nib, there is a recess that forms a "shoulder" for the spring to rest on.
I wouldn't make this conversion for a pen I was going to sell.
I do make them for myself.
Sometimes is "double spring" is necessary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom