Peppermill w/o Industrial Looking Chrome Top

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jason Swanson

Jason Swanson

This is the peppermill that I had up in Racine, WI a few weeks back when I went to visit Ed and Dawn at exoticblanks. The adjustment knob is a chunk of leftover pen blank (Stripe Tease blank). The inspiration for making my own adjustment knobs came from a critique that Jacques Vesery and Bonnie Klein did on my peppermills at the 2009 Ohio River Valley Woodturners Symposium. They commented that I should really get rid of the "Industrial Looking Chrome Knob" to make the peppermills truely unique. This is what I came up with... Jason

Attachments

• 6Pepper01Web.JPG
    6Pepper01Web.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 361
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jason Swanson

Looks great. How does the adjustment knob attach? Or did you just cover the chrome ne?

Chris

I purchased some little brass inserts from MSC and epoxy them into a .250" hole in the pen blank. They are small knurled brass inserts used for plastic injection molding. I origionally tried making the knobs by epoxying the chrome knobs into a pen blank but they looked too bulky. The brass inserts are really small and give me more latitude over the overall shape. Jason

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Fantastic job, every time we can devise a good looking diversion to the standard kit fare we raise the bar and make a really good impression.

Gin N' Tonic

Jason,
Can you tell me what is MSC?

Many years ago it was called Manhattan Supply company but as they grew they changed to MSC industrial supply co. You can get just about anything there.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/

BTW: Jason, That is one impressive pepper mill and one great idea. I've made a couple of pepper mills where I had filed down the nut, buried it in a piece of wood and carved it to look like a wing nut. It looked good but your design is much more sleek and attractive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom