Pepper Mills And Wood With A Story

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from kyaggie

kyaggie

Howdy all,

My 9x's Great Grandfather, William Tucker, arrived at the Jamestown Colony in 1610 and my 4x's Great Grandfather, Daniel Tucker, was a Captain in the Revolutionary War. In early July my wife and I were at Fort Eustis, Virginia to attend AIT graduation for our son as an Army UH-60 Blackhawk mechanic. While we were in the area we visited Jamestown and Yorktown, which is where the Revolutionary War ended with the surrender of General Cornwallis, and magically a chunk of wood from each place made it into our car. With the wood I turned these pepper/salt mills and they will be a set that commemorates two very important places in the history of our country and my family's connection to them. The mill on the left is spalted oak and I have no clue as to what wood the one on the right is.

Mike

Attachments

• Tucker-Mills.jpg
    Tucker-Mills.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

flyitfast

They look great.
Don't know what the one on the right is either, but I like it. Great reflections. (chatoyance).
Gordon

Last edited:

Dave Turner

Fantastic idea for the salt and pepper mills! They look great too. The wood on the right looks like white ash to me. We've had to take several ash trees down due to the emerald ash borer, so I have a lot of ash to play with.

Those are so cool! I'm completely in lust with the forms. Hope you don't mind that I am going to rip that profile off. Excellent place to grab it (ergonomically right on) and a completely different top (not your standard round knob). Thanks for sharing!

kyaggie

Thanks for the kind comments, everyone! We're really happy having mills out of wood from those two places, especially with my family being connected to those places.

Thanks also for the wood ID.

Ted, feel free to turn this profile. It really is easy and comfortable to hold and grind with.

Take care,
Mike

BJohn

Love the idea. sp much that it one of the things I do when we are on vacation especially to historic places.

I have some wood from inside the colldera of the Kilauea volcano that I plan on turning into pen blanks. And on a trip last month I picked up somea piece of Maple which has a burl knot ion it off the ground at the Hartwell Tavern in Concord Mass. At some smaller pieces of the ground at the North bridge. Sight of the first shoot's fired in the revolutionary war. "Shot heard around the world"

Look forward to getting them stabilzed and maybe cast in some Alumilite, then turned into a pen.

Paul Revere probably stopped at this Tavern as it was right alongside the road he traveled on his midnight ride, as he was captured by the British not a short distance up the dirt road.

Last edited:
Top Bottom