Penturning Feel Good Moment!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cmiles1985

I make pens as a hobby, and in the eyes of the IRS, as a business. Since recently moving to a much smaller town, I have seen so many kind acts shared by the local police department, and the community overall. I wanted to do something nice for the PD, so I sent the chief a message on Facebook asking how many officers there were. He's got 38 folks on his staff. I ended up with a 20% PSI discount at the same time they had 15% off pen kits, so I bought 50 Stratus kits, dug out some of my lightly figured exotic blanks and went to town! I've finally finished 40 pens. The idea popped into my head that I should make this an opportunity to give back to the community as well as the PD, but how? I thought "I'll ask folks to sponsor a 'Pen for a Cop' for at least $10 each, and I'll donate that cash to a charity, but which one? Then the PD posts a "Cops for Tots" toy drive and car show! Perfect timing! So, I posted to Facebook the idea of sponsoring a "Pen for a Cop" with the donated cash going to the "Cops for Tots" toy drive. What a hit! The chief shared it, and so far, I've raised $220. My target is $400. The chief sent me a message last night that an anonymous donor was inspired by my post; they donated $1000 to the cause!

I'm glad to know that there are still amazing people in this world. That there are still philanthropic people in this world. I know my kids will have a good Christmas. If I can find a way to help other kids have a wonderful holiday season, it makes me feel great!

Have a great Wednesday, y'all!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Well done! I fully believe that Random Acts of Kindness have many, many offshoots as kindness is spread. What starts out as one, turns into 10, 100...

Thanks for posting.

Terredax

Banned
That is inspirational! I couldn't imagine making 40 pens. I'm still working on making my first.
One day, I hope to borrow your idea, and make a difference.

Cmiles1985

Well, thank you all for the kind words! I hope my post has inspired some of y'all to do something with this great hobby for your community. Obviously making 40 pens is a stretch (I really thought there would maybe be 20 people on the police force here!). While making forty pens with the thought of not getting "paid" is a bit of a daunting and trying task, the end result, especially when I get to hand over the donation, will have made every bit worth it!

keithlong

Great idea, and great job, I make about 20 or so pens for military troops. if I had the funds to do so, I would do some for our local sherrifs office. I have been staped for funds here lately.

Jgrden

I have been the recipient of blanks and equipment just because of an announcement stating my return to the pen turning world. We are still amazed at the good will and generousness of IAP members. I have, in the past, sent packages to newbies to help them get started as well but never expected anything like this in return.
This is a real good bunch of people. Is it in the wood? Vapors from turning blanks?

Top Bottom