Pentacryl,Polyethylene Glycol (PEG),anchorseal?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

me2cyclops

I just got some ebony and acacia logs my dad brought home from tanzania :biggrin:
what do I need to do to protect and cure or stabilize or ???
if it were you how would you treat them
they are ~ 8" diameter 14-16" long if that matters

S

spiritwoodturner

Pentacryl won't work. It was originally designed to displace water in softwoods that sank to the bottom of a lake or river, and it won't penetrate ebony. I tried it on snakewood once, and it did absolutely nothing.

Anchorseal is good. What are you planning on doing with the wood? If you're making any bowls with it (or anything bigger than say, pens) I would rough turn it to about 3/4 of an inch thickness (be consistent here, it's important) and then anchorseal it. If it's wet, it could take quite a while to dry whole. At least cut it into manageable sizes before anchorsealing it.

Have fun with it! It will be special because of the connection to your Dad.

Dale

me2cyclops

the ebony I may hang onto for a while before I do anything with it
I'd like to make some pens with part of the acacia in the near future for the other people from the trip.
they were building a school near lake victoria

low_48

You should definitely not leave them in log form. The ebony will really crack up if left. Get it cut in half, maybe quarter. Then I would seal the ends, and put the pieces in a paper bag. You will probably have to use lawn waste bags because of the length. It's going to take a long time for the ebony to dry. It's like trying to get the water out of a rock.

Top Bottom