Pens in Alphorn shape???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy Vey

During our last Arts and Crafts show over the past weekend, we were asked by a man if I could do a pen in the shape of an alp horn (eventually several because he has an ensemble playing alp horns). Anybody an idea how to help here??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

Pictures would help. But first thing that comes to mind is offset turning. An Escolen eccentric chuck might work. Lotsa money and time involved. Maybe hand carving an end then fixing to a turned piece would work. Get a large deposit before you start. [;)]

Firefyter-emt

Well. It would be easy enough if you want to do some hand carving. Cut the rough shape and and keep the horn end a block. You will want a 7mm pin chuck to hold the cap (horn end) and turn 90% of the barrel of the pen leaving the block at the end. Now before shaping the horn you will have to clamp the block in a vice and drill a hole into it for th eopening of the horn. Now hand carve the curved neck and the shape of the horn. The lower barrel can be a modified slimline to match the tapered diameter of the pen.

I would suggest you sand to 220 and then put the pen togather and hand sand the body so that the bandless barrel is flawless when put togather.

It would be some work, and you would need that 1/4" pin chuck, but if you could file a slot on an old mandrel shaft or even the end that goes inside your normal shaft and flip it around so that the threadded ene is inside your headstock, you can make one easy enough.

Oh, and for those who don't know... This is an Alphorn
22618123.jpg

Firefyter-emt

Oh, and looking at that photo, it appears to have diffrent ring colors and ends wood. It would be awesome to make the main body from say Maple and then the lower horn in Cherry with some white plastic to make the rings (or even soda cans) [;)]

potter

Hi Rudy,
i think cheaper than an Escolen would be,if you turn it out of acrylics, make it hot and then bend it, turn it or however this englisch word für biegen is[:D]
Harry

Randy_

Originally posted by Firefyter-emt
<br />.....It would be some work, and you would need that 1/4" pin chuck.....

If you didn't want to mess with a pin chuck, you could use the method that has been discussed a lot lately of turning between centers without a mandrel.

Firefyter-emt

Randy, you got me!!! LOL.... You are right, because the "carved end" is not getting finished it could be done BCB! Geesh and me of all people missed that!

By the way, some of the rough shaping could be done on a band saw too.

I wonder if it was turned straight, just how much steam it it would take to bend it? If a wooden plug was made to fit the horn to keep it round, a jig could be made to try to bend the shaft. That would be an awesome way to do this idea. It's small enough to steam in a pot and a 1/4" rod could fit inside the pen to strengthen the tube and provide leverage.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by workinforwood
<br />Did they have a flat bed to carry those instruments around???

No, all their beds are CURVED, to fit their horns!!!!

(What would they do with a FLAT bed???!!!)[:0][:0][:0][:0]

mrcook4570

How about using deer antler and basically turning it as a closed end pen? Just find the right piece of antler that has the shape you are looking for, then drill, turn the end, and insert pen parts.

One other possibility to get the curved shape - use segments. Turn a long barrel and cut pieces off at a slight angle. Rotate the pieces and glue together to form a segmented curve. The corners will need to be sanded to create a nice smooth curve.

Rmartin

Corian!

It bends nicely. You can turn to shape and then microwave and bend. I would also look into how handmade smoking pipes are made.

Flat bed/curved bed; that's too funny!
Rmartin

leatherjunkie

why not just turn a pen normaly with the wood that makes up the alphorn and use the bent area for the pen holder.

kinda like what someone did on this wire with a golf club.
the ball wacker[B)] end was the pen stand while the actual pen was the handle.

and yes i don't golf so i dont know the terms of the golf club[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom