Pens from shell casings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jkirkb94

Have entertained the idea myself of drilling through a bullet. I hadn't thought about a hollowpoint. Good idea Frank! The lead should be easier to drill through than the jacket. Has anyone actually drilled a bullet?? Any advice/ideas? Kirk[8D]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Kirk, your pretty sharp [:)] I broke to bits before I asked [:D]

Drill real slow and use a lubricant. I ended up using my varible speed drill, hardly going and had some buck sharpening oil around I used for lube. The lead is real soft and just wraps around the bit. You will have to pull the bit out and scrape or brush of the lead as it wraps around the bit.

Anthony

knottyharry

I have been experimenting a little using a 30-06 shell casing. But don't have anything i'm real happy with yet.
The other day I went to the local gun shop and picked up an assortment of shell casings. And depending on what you are using for internal parts will probably vary.
But if you are using slimline parts. The 270 casing I think might just be the ticket. If you use the brass tubes for a guide and for pressing the parts into it fits pretty well.
There is also a 270 WSM casing which is a little bigger around, and is also a little shorter. But I haven't gotten that far into it yet.
As I do I will post some pictures.
Harry

JRowan

I have been thinking of trying a shell casing pen too. I have 22-250, 220 Swift, 243, 260, 270 and 30-06 cases laying around. I am thinking the 270 is probably going to be the test run case. Put a few of them in the tumbler last night, should be nice and shiny tonight when I take them out. The 7mm tube will fit easily inside the neck. With a little work I think I can put a bell on the end of the neck to match the diameter of the nib, if not I will probably just trim the neck off back to where the diameter of the shoulder matches the nib.

So many things to try, so little time. LOL this could get interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom