Pens for my Deployment

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jyreene

jyreene

In addition to the one Fred sent me I have been working on these for a bit as I got time. Since they released new rules on bullets and ammo not, even expended or replicas, not being allowed back through customs then I decided to get a few clickers, and one of the new touch styluses, to make and bring with me. As well as an awesome cut off of Cocobolo burl that I got from Jonathon, Brooks803.

I'll start with the Cocobolo. It's on a copper slim. I like the slims. Always have because it reminds me of a cross pen my dad gave me a long time ago that got stolen. This wood was hard. Chisel, Gouge, Skew, Carbide, nothing worked that didn't make the blank go BOOM! So I was resigned to my 80 grit tools! Even then it was still coming apart. Got it done, pressed it, and crack...son-of-a... Took a break and used some CA to seal the cracks. They are visible but sealed. Since this is for me I'm okay with it. Here it is:

Up next is a Tetra Ballpoint Stylus in Gunmetal and Chrome...or Black Ti and Chrome I can't remember which. This is a first of this kit for me. It's a nice kit. Instructions are clear and concise and so far the pen and stylus work great. I used a Cellulose Acetate that Jonathon gave me a while back. Almost lost this one when I wasn't paying attention to heat. Got a little chip in it. Sealed it with CA a little so you can't really tell unless you're looking. Again this is for me so I'm okay with it because it's hard to find. Here it is:

Next up is an Aero Click in Black Ti and Chrome. Not a bad little kit. Another first for me. I've done Aero before but not a click. Honestly this bunch I'm showing are my first clicks (successful, had an awful experience with some Indian Ebonite and broke the click kit when disassembling). I believe it's Redwood Burl that was stabilized by Jonathon. This gave me troubles also. Huge chuck flew of when sanding. Glued it up and saved it. Still noticeable so I put it under the clip... Here it is:

Next up is a Long Click in Black Ti. Nice kit. Glad I had some collet chucks to drill on the lathe but I had to turn it round to do so. Not sure of the wood. I do know it's was stabilized and dyed black by Jonathon. I think I even watched him do this one while he taught me. No problems with this one so it was a nice change of pace. Here it is:

Last one is a Stratus Chrome. Nice kit. Very quiet click. The blank is my own. Jonathon taught me how to cast my very first time I met him. Great friend! Of course I'm not allowed to use squeeze bottles around him now... It's green, blue, and black in there. No reverse painting. Pleased with how it turned out and wish I had been able to get more blanks out of the lesson...stupid squeeze bottles. Here it is:

I'll be abusing these out there so I can give a pretty good post abuse review when I get back. C&C welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jyreene

Thanks Phil. Proud to serve. Thanks for watching out for our communities.

Thanks PW. I will be safe. and you have a good one too.

Last edited:

jyreene

Thanks Brian. I got inspired by Ed4copies post about the perfect troop pen. I plan on over abusing these out there and bringing back some more feedback.

Brooks803

Wow! You really have a great friend there to give you all that cool material! :handshake:

Having seen them in person now I don't think I can choose a favorite. They all have something special going on. I think I used a dark blue dye on that long click pen though...not black. I didn't have any black left after you hulk smashed the squeeze bottle remember :tongue::biggrin:

Fishinbo

Like slim lines as well. Your cocobolo is perfect with the kit and a great save. You have a beautiful variety of attractive blanks with great finish. Great job!

jyreene

Wow! You really have a great friend there to give you all that cool material! :handshake: Having seen them in person now I don't think I can choose a favorite. They all have something special going on. I think I used a dark blue dye on that long click pen though...not black. I didn't have any black left after you hulk smashed the squeeze bottle remember :tongue::biggrin:

Give. Yes let's use that word... ;) I don't have any idea what you're talking about. That bottle was like that when I got there!!

Like slim lines as well. Your cocobolo is perfect with the kit and a great save. You have a beautiful variety of attractive blanks with great finish. Great job!

Thanks! I'm proud if that save.

Marc

Hmmm, having seen the results of a hulk smash on a Benjamen's Best turning tool, I have to wonder who really did the hulk smash? Yes, Jonathon, he does have a really good friend who supplies much material. Thanks for that.

Thanks also for your hospitality during my recent visit. It's great to know a blank caster and pen turner.

jyreene

Hmmm, having seen the results of a hulk smash on a Benjamen's Best turning tool, I have to wonder who really did the hulk smash? Yes, Jonathon, he does have a really good friend who supplies much material. Thanks for that. Thanks also for your hospitality during my recent visit. It's great to know a blank caster and pen turner.

I think we pretty much both Hulk smash a lot. He is a great host. I'll miss hanging out with him while I'm gone.

Very nice pens there,the last one is my pick of the bunch but all look good.

I'm kind of partial to that one myself since it was my first and only casting endeavor. Thanks for the compliments.

Top Bottom