Pendant backer plate templates

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

AlanZ

My bride and I are just starting with Richard's pendant backer plate, and we thought that making templates would be helpful for visualizing the effects of the offsets.

Here are some photos of our first two pendant backer templates, we'll make one for each of the mandrel positions.

Our first attempt at these templates uses thick plastic sheets (used for making stencils) taped to the plate.

Each starts out with a sharpie cross hair that lines up with the 0/12 and 6/18 positions... so we can easily reorient them later.

Then with the mandrel in the center position, we marked a series of concentric circles.

Next move the mandrel to another position (in our first case #2) and locate the new center (we used a drill in the tailstock to find the new center), and mark concentric circles for that particular offset.

Then remove the template and repeat for each of the mandrel offset positions.

Shown here are positions #2 and #3. We'll make a full set over the next couple of days (maybe put them onto thin plexiglass...)

By having an overlay templates, we can turn a pendant round on center, then position overlays to see where we want to drill holes, make scribe cuts, etc. Using the crosshairs, we can rotate the template to see the effect that rotating the deluxe index plate would have. Also, the overlays can be stacked so see what would happen if we used multiple offset positions for a project.

By centering an overlay on a work in progress, it should make it easier to mark the chisel position on the toolrest to make scribing cuts.

We're just beginning to explore the possibilities... and having a good time.

What do you think?

Attachments

• pendant_template_a.jpg
    pendant_template_a.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 291
  • pendant_template_b.jpg
    pendant_template_b.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 264
  • pendant_template_c.jpg
    pendant_template_c.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 273
  • pendant_template_d.jpg
    pendant_template_d.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 302
  • pendant_template_e.jpg
    pendant_template_e.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 328
  • pendant_template_f.jpg
    pendant_template_f.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 320
Last edited:

sailing_away

I like them. It makes visually looking at the pendant before you cut it much easier. I have been using a sharpie on Corian to get an idea before I cut. I like your idea much better. It works with all materials and opens up the possibilities even better creations.

scotian12

This idea has merit. Please continue to explore the concept and give us an update from time to time. Certainly would be a nice accompanying jig for the backer plate. Darrell Eisner

Top Bottom