Pencil mech. for Elegent American from AS

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

samuel07

Can the Elegent American Kit from AS be made into a pencil just by getting the Schmidt mechanism. I've had lots of requests for pen / pencil sets but I don't like the slimeline pencils.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Try the Perfect Fit.
That kit is designed around the Schmidt Mechanism.Woodcraft used to market it the "convertable".
One issue I have with the Elegant American(and I am not the only one) is the sharp edges on the CB

gerryr

Yup, the Perfect Fit is the way to go. It is a significantly better pen than the Elegant American. I still have one of those and I really dread doing it. By the time I fix the CB issue Eagle mentioned and deal with the fussiness of the kit, it should be a high end rolleball instead of a cheap ballpoint. It is just a bad design. The Perfect Fit is easier, looks better, and has a better transmission. The pencil mechanism is only $2.00. Oh, and the penicl mechanism will not work in the Elegant American, only in the Perfect Fit and El Grande.

Randy_

Originally posted by samuel07
<br />Can the Elegent American Kit from AS be made into a pencil just by getting the Schmidt mechanism......

Probably not; but given that it has a twist mechanism and uses a Parker refill, the chances are good that with a few minor modifications it could be done......similar to the process that is used to modify the Sierra kit.

I've never made an Elegant American so I can't comment on the problems mentioned by others; but can say the Perfect Fit is a nice kit. OTOH, if you particularly like the EA...and it does have an appealing look...experiment a little. I think you might be able to make it work with minimal effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom