Pen Turning Ethics

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I believe that I turned the first corncob pen several years ago. I posted the method on the forum that I visited.

I had no feeling of sole proprietorship and was pleased when others began to turn them and make some suggestions to improve the method.

Keep in mind that this is a hobby.

Larry

GouletPens

I believe that I turned the first corncob pen several years ago. I posted the method on the forum that I visited.

I had no feeling of sole proprietorship and was pleased when others began to turn them and make some suggestions to improve the method.

Keep in mind that this is a hobby.

Larry
It's not a hobby for everyone. For many it's either supplemental income or sole income for those like myself. Granted, the vast majority here do this for a hobby (that at least pays for itself). But yeah, I get the point....there is VERY little direct competition going on with anyone here since we're all so spread out and handmade pens is still such a new phenomenon (to most). The sharing of our ideas only furthers the art and helps to make pen turning more widely known to the masses, which in turn helps us all sell our pens. We're many, many years off from pen turning becoming a seriously competitive craft (if ever). :neutral:

btboone

I feel that when you borrow a concept for a pen, it should include the note "inspired by", especially when said pens start showing up in magazines, for sale, or other websites.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I feel that when you borrow a concept for a pen, it should include the note "inspired by", especially when said pens start showing up in magazines, for sale, or other websites.

Bruce,

Many of mine are inspired by you. Problem is - they are so far away (unintentionally :eek:) from looking like your pens that no one would notice! Shucks, they don't even look close enough to look like "caricatures" of yours! :biggrin:

btboone

I don't mind at all Hank. I have however walked into the woodworking store and saw my puzzle pen concept on the shelves and in the magazines by several different people without a single mention of where the idea came from. There can be no question that I was the first, and that I did both individual laser cut pieces and single piece pens half a year before others borrowed from it. The zirconium pen used the original CAD drawing that has been around before all other puzzle pens. When it got to a point where one of those "borrowers" was asking others to reference him on their websites as the designer, that set the alarm bells ringing. I've also seen the same situation in a particular desk pen geometry. The makers claim that the geometry just came to them. You only need to view the archives and dates that the different designs were presented to see who was the originators and who were the "borrowers."

As I said, I don't mind taking an idea and developing it further. I don't have the time to pursue making kits, but an "inspired by" notation in those kits, websites, and magazines would be nice. It takes a huge amount of work to come up with an idea like the puzzle pens, and not so much to copy and market them as your own.

Rifleman1776

There is no way one could copy exactly another's pen. An attempt to replicate or recreate something you see is simply a compliment to the original maker. Do what you wish without regrets.
Artistic copying is very difficult. Go to any art museum and you will find students painting, or 'copying' famous masters. There is nothing wrong with that. On the other hand, there are a limited few, very talented but misguided artists who are able to precisely copy expensive paintings and then resell them as originals.
You wouldn't be passing off yours as someone else's. At least, I hope not.

Top Bottom