Pen transmission problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

cat6492

Put a Berea FlatTop/American Style-Double twist together to night. Everything seems to be ok fit wise except when I try to advance the point its almont impossible. Extremely tight, can I back the transmition out? How? Is it possible I got a bad transmition? Did a couple this afternoon and had no problem. Check before assembly and did not see any glue in barrel. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rudy Vey

could be a bad transmission, although I never had one in several hundred pens I made in this style. Two things may cause this:
the lower barrel is too thick (thicker than the coupler) and this jams the upper barrel or there was glue inside the upper part. I had denied this for a long time myself, but run a letter "L" bit through before assembly and this will clean out the tube.

Another thing could be, and this happend to me only with the Chromium plated ones, that the hole in the nib is not large enough to let the refill go through. Sometimes overplating happens on edges.
Run small number bits through it to open the hole up and check with the tip of the refill if large enough. I think it is a bit in the "40's"

Rudy

G

Check the lower barrel just under the ring that holds the transmission.
Make sure there is no rubbing.
One other thing to check.
I am not familiar with Bereas Flat top, but I was told they made them for woodcraft.
I had the same problem on one of theirs.
In woodcrafts directions they tell you to make sure the transmission slides into the top with no restriction.
When I dismantled the pen and started from scratch I found that the transmission"bound" when inserted into the top section.
I used a small rat-tail file the "open up" the tube in to top section.
This may have stemmed from an off-center turning I don't know, the pen worked fine after a little "surgery"

Rudy Vey

Actually, I wanted to give you directions how to dis-assemble the upper part:
drill a hole into a piece of wood the size that will clear the brass insert on the top of the pen( the one where the black "Flat Top" is screwed in). Also you need a piece of metal rod, very good is a cut off from a 7 mm or Berea "A" mandrel. Put the wood with the hole on you arbor or drill press and put the upper pen part, with the brass insert facing down into the hole and insert the metal rod, now slowly and carefull press the transmission with the attached brass thingy out through the wood block. Clean out the barrel very good and re-assmble the pen. I have that sometimes the transmission can be used again, but I always use a new one.

Hope that helps

Rudy

cat6492

Thanks for all the suggestions.. Called Berea, tried their suggestion and it worked.The transmission was not far enough down in the barrel. Suggested I back off the flat top screw just a little and then put in vice and tighten down some more about i/16"-1/8", that moved it a little closer to the center band. Did the trick.
Now I know why you don't glue the flat top until you have checked and double checked.

its_virgil

Parting off the blank for the coupler and or pressing on the coupler can collapse the brass tube enought to bind the transmission. It should fall through the upper tube with no restrictionl. No glue, no crimping, collapsing, or otherwise reducing the diameter of the tube. The kit is also very criticla of length specifications, especially the upper tube and how much is parted off. It is not very forgiving. Good luck.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom