Pen Texturing/Chatter Tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kooster

Has anyone used a texturing or chatter tool of sorts on
pen blanks? Are there other tools available for this type of
effect? Obviously it would have to be used on blanks that
are substantial to prevent blowout extreme. Just wondering.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

juteck

A decorating elf works well for adding texture. I made my own "pixie" version, but have not tried it on pens yet. The sorby spiral/texture tool would do it also, but better with the finer wheel. Their micro tool would be a better choice for texturing pens and small turnings.

Texturing a close grain wood with plain figure gives good results on other turnings. Open grain wood may tear out, and figured wood starts looking too busy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Last edited:

asyler

Local Chapter Leader
i tried the sorby spiral tool, not to too good results, but could be operator error..

mrcook4570

Chatter tools work best when faceplate turning endgrain, such as the top of lidded boxes, top of bottle stoppers, spin tops, etc. On spindles (e.g. pen blanks), results will be inconsistent at best.

I have never used the sorby spiral tool and never heard of a decorating elf, so I cannot comment about them.

juteck

All of these tools will take practice, especially the sorby. I'm still playing with the elf style, but it seems to give promising results. Several suppliers sell it, but here's a link to the manufacturer's website. Check out the videos too. I think there are more videos on YouTube if you search for Decorating Elf.

http://www.henrytaylortools.co.uk/decorating_elf.html

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

A comment on the decorating elf, I made one for $10. Eddie Castelin has the bushing and bearing on his website. I didn't buy his I made mine with parts from Ace hardware.

Levi Woodard
Woodardwoodworks.com

Sent from my YP-GI1 (Samsung Galaxy player)using Forum Runner

Top Bottom