Pen Tanker from Paduk and curly maple....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from redfishsc

redfishsc

I decided to make myself a massive pen tote, I think "tanker" is the appropriate word. It's 30" long and 16" wide, 5 1/2" thick. Yes, it is HEAVY!

I wanted trays that articulated like a nice tackle box, so I made a couple of prototypes and wound up with this, and I LIKE IT!!!!!!! This will make a fantastic display box for when I need to take a LOT of pens.

It will hold more than 135 pens, but I prefer keeping them one space apart, gives the box less of a "stuffed" look. Well, that, and I don't have enough pens on hand to fill it up, as I have some others at stores.

The black tray inserts did not come with elastic string, so I used the Dremel to make holes to weave the black string through to hold the pens--- each pen has two loops to hold it.

The only thing I would modify is that I would make the wood hinges longer, because the back row of the middle and bottom trays aren't as easy to access as I'd prefer.

The box is made from quarter-sawn Paduk. The lid is the most unreal curly maple I've ever had. The bottom (not seen in pics) is 1/4" Finnish birch.

Miter keys--- yellow birch.
Wooden handle-- hickory.
Pen trays--- mahogany with lock-shoulder joints.
Wooden tray hinges-- hickory with aluminum binding-posts as the pivot.
Box dividers (on either side of the trays)-- cherry.

The lid is finished with 5 coats of 100% Tung oil, cured for a month, and then the whole box was sprayed with several coats of satin conversion varnish (same thing I use on the pens).

pen_tanker_1.jpg

pen_tanker_2.jpg

pen_tanker_3.jpg

pen_tanker_4.jpg

pen_tanker_5.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hewunch

:hypnotized: That is some kind of cool!

If the work you do for the school is half as nice, you are keeping the place better than I remember it.

Last edited:

drayman

wow that is a stunner, very well done. and yes you should be proud:beauty::beauty::beauty::beauty::beauty::beauty::beauty::beauty::beauty::beauty::beauty:

redfishsc

That is an amazing case. Beautiful woods and great finish.

Where did you get the tray inserts?

I bought the inserts from a guy that has a website selling fountain pen supplies, and it was over 6 months ago that I bought them, and for the life of me I can't remember where I bought them. I'll see if I can dig it up with our schnazzy new search feature, since it was someone here that informed me about the supplier.

VisExp

:good: Redfish, that is some very nice woodworking! :good: The curly maple and padauk with miter keys is an eye stopping combination!

redfishsc

Lol, hilltopper, I save the studying of irregular verbs for when I'm asleep. I have nightmares about deponent verbs and participles:eek:.

BTW most of this thing was done either before I clock in for work at the shop, or bits-n-pieces on my 15-minute breaks and lunch breaks.

I worked on this thing intermittently for nearly 6 months. Apparently patience pays off, this box came out as close to flawless as anything I've ever done (there are a couple of goofs in it but only one can be seen in the pic, and I ain't tellin!).

Mikey

Very, very nice. If I was looking for a pen and someone showed up with a case like that, my first impression was that this person is very talented or knows beauty and quality.

Grizz

Banned
Oh man that is awesome!!!! I'd ask you to make me one, but I know I couldn't afford it.

bclaws

That is an awesome piece of work. you may wish to consider having someone sew a special cover for it like something in leather or velvet. I'd really want to protect that great work.

Brian

paulstenlund

Pen tray

Some posted the link to the pen trays (or one similiar) a couple days ago, now the link is gone (I didn't save it). If it is not kosher to post it in the forum could you e-mail it to me

pstenlund@portoflongview.com

I need some desperately

Thanks
Paul

redfishsc

Some posted the link to the pen trays (or one similiar) a couple days ago, now the link is gone (I didn't save it). If it is not kosher to post it in the forum could you e-mail it to me

pstenlund@portoflongview.com

I need some desperately

Thanks
Paul

Paul, I've googled the fool out of it, and I just can't find the site I bought them from. I don't even have a clue as to the name. The only other option I have is to dig through my receipts and see if I can find the shipping invoice, but that will take a while with all I have to do. I can post the site as soon as I find it, it's perfectly kosher since I'm just a satisfied customer of theirs.

Top Bottom