pen/pencil/letter opener combo?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbower

In showing some of my pens to a friend who wants to order something for her husband, this question came up. She would like me to make a pen/pencil/letter opener set - 3 items.

Have any of you seen any places that would have that combo?

Or have any or you cannibalized kits to make up something like this? I assume that can be done IF you match sizes properly.

TIA

Michael Bower

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbower

I guess I wasn't clear

What she wants is a pen/pencil/letter opener set where they match completely. So if she picked the Sedona Pen and Pencil, she'd also like the letter open to match the Sedona look. (I just used that as a bad example.)

I have seen (I think) a few sets where you can get a pen and a letter opener but no matching pencil.

So I was wondering if anybody had seen something like i'm looking for OR had put together something that worked.

Michael

mick

Michael, I've made the three piece sets in the Euro style, Cigar Style and also in the Flat Top American style. The only problems I've encountered are platings issues. With the Euro I've had problems finding better platings in the pencil or Letter opener the exception is Black Ti which PSI carries. Cigars I couldn't find a pencil in anything except 24 or 10k gold or Platinum. I did finally find Black Ti somewhere once....I just don't recall at the moment where. Flat Top Americans have all three pieces available in quite a few plating. It takes a bit of searchng but you can find matching set!

wood-of-1kind

Michael, I have designed and made my own letter openers made out entirely out of WOOD (white oak, cherry) with exotic wood accents.

Match existing woods used for your pen/pencil set and make a nice letter (wood) openerer to complete your set.

Attachments

• P1010001.JPG
    P1010001.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 174
  • P1010003.JPG
    P1010003.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 129

scoutharps

Woodcraft carries the Am Classic--pen, pencil, letter opener, mag glass, all match. Only thing is...the pencil does not work worth a darn, from my admititly limited exerience.

greenmtnguy

Local Chapter Leader
All three available in Gold

Ernie at Beartooth has all three in Gold in a Cigar. I wonder if you could buy the pen and pencil in chrome, buy and additional chrome cigar and change the hardware on the opener to make it chrome also. :confused: I bet Ernie could answer that with an email.

Buzz

Another issue with such a set, and the 3 x Cigar combo would look great, it finding a presention box to accommodate the length of the letter opener.

I've always wanted to do pen/letter opener sets, using the better and longer openers, but where do you get nice presentation boxes for them?

Sorry, but only slightly off topic :)

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Are you willing and able to do a wee bit of custom fitting, and add a few unused parts to your collection?

The letter opener is nothing more than the cap of a pen that is fitted over the tang of the knife. The easiest way to do this is to use what CUSA calls their "Delux Letter Opener". This is a knife with a 7mm tang, and that is small enough to fit inside of any pen cap. You will only be using the knife from the kit.

Buy the pen and pencil, an extra pen, and the "Delux Opener" kits.

Make the pen and pencil of your choice, and then make the cap only for a 2nd pen and assenble it without the clip. Slip this cap over the tang of the knife, and fill the gap with epoxy or turn a plug to fill up the space, and then glue it all together.

Last edited:
Top Bottom