PEN MILLS

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

OSCAR15

I called up Penn State to let them know that the penn mill goes dull after 15 or so pens. Same problem I have had using mills from other vendors. FYI: Penn State is going to market a pen mill with CARBIDE cutting edges in the next few months! I look forward to it! OSCAR

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rduncan

Why not sharpen it?? How many pens do you turn before you touch up your tool edges?? Yeah I know the tools take more of a beating but still I've tried to get in the habit of touching up my mill every couple pens or so.

There also is the believe (fact?) that HSS can be sharpened more/sharper than a carbid edge. Of course, the carbide will last longer. Oh yeah, I guess that is your point anyway. OK, I'll crawl back under my rock now. [:)]

bnoles

I have read several posts both here and elsewhere about pen mills becoming dull fairly quickly and have experienced this first hand as well.

I have had really good experience keeping mine in good working order by simply wiping it down really good with mineral spirits and running a diamond hone across the edges when it starts showning signs of becoming dull. Only takes about 5 minures or so to clean it up and makes it cuts as good as the first time I used it. This has worked for me time and time again and I never have a problem getting that really square blank end in any kind of stock. Just like any other tool.... got to take a little time to tune them here and there so they can work for me and not me for them. [:D]

OSCAR15

Rick, and Bob you are both right....I sharpen my chisels frequently and I know HSS can take a great edge. I am concerned that if the mill edges aren't sharpened exactly equally, it may defeat the purpose, and not square the blank. I guess since you have had sucees, I will give it a go....Thanks for your input.....Oscar
Bob...Im up in Winder, Ga.

rduncan

I liken it to a tip from an instructor at a router class where he swiped a diamond hone across the router bit about every time he started to use it for each project. A couple swipes with a hone won't really change the size or shape and instead of sharpening it just keeps it sharp.

TomServo

I think the problem is that pen mills (at least the ones I've seen and used) aren't HSS... or maybe they're using a different acronym for HSS "Hunan Spicy Steel". Then again, I don't recall any ever being advertised as HSS.

rduncan

Originally posted by TomServo
<br />I think the problem is that pen mills (at least the ones I've seen and used) aren't HSS... or maybe they're using a different acronym for HSS "Hunan Spicy Steel". Then again, I don't recall any ever being advertised as HSS.
That's probably correct as they do seem to be quite soft as a generic diamond hone just takes a couple swipes on each side seems to do the trick.

wood-of-1kind

I have the LV mill and it is HSS. Also have the PSI mill and it can not compare to the LV mill. Difference of day and night in terms of cutting. IMHO get the LV, money well spent.

-Peter-

kgwaugh

There has been quite a bit of dialogue "somewhere" about sharpening pen mills. The single most important aspect is to file the BACK of the cutting edge---the diamond hone (or whatever used) would be parrallel to the shaft of the mill when touching up. This way, you are not changing the length of the individual cutters.

Gene

Paul in OKC

I would say that most are not HSS. They are a tool steel, but hardness depends on the grade of tool steel they use. When I have sharpened mills for some of you I can tell there is some difference by the sparks coming off of the grinding wheel. Ones from the factory are also mass produced with a generis cutting angle on them. Sometimes it works as while, sometimes not. A proper angle will help them last longer because they will cut, and not have to be forced into the wood.

Cam

I have both the PSI 7mm and Lee Valley 7 and 10mm penmills. When touching them up with a diamond hone there is a big difference.
The PSI is easy to hone but dulls quickly The hone seems to slip over the the LV so I have to apply more pressure to the hone. The LV seems quite a bit harder to me.

I think the LV is probably the same ones the CS and AS sells. I stand to be corrected though.

Cam

vick

Originally posted by airrat
<br />anyone have a link to what "hone" they use.
Tom I do not have the link but I use small diamond hone I got at woodcraft. Just make sure the abbrasive surface goes all the way to the edge or else you cannot sharpen the inside part of the mill.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Harbor freight has a 4 sided diamond hone that goes up to 600. Currently on sale for $9.99. I use it for a quick touch up on my chisels in between main sharpenings and I use it for the pen mill too. I barely can use it on the pen mill as the edge is of the hone is about 1/8 from the edge, but I can tell the difference immediately.

I mght do what most people consider a no-no but it worked fine - I took the shaft out and placed the 4 edges of the pen mill flat onto the hone; made two swipes and it was obvious that it was sharp.

One advantage to the 4 sided HF is the 600 grit. Most diamond hones go to 400 only.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92867

92867.gif

Check it out.

woodmarc

Glad to see that I am not alone. I also have the PSI. I purchased the 3 piece diamond set from Rockler and have pretty much worn them out "touching" up the various tools in the shop.

Now, if PSI would make a shaft to fit the larger keychain kits.

KenV

I was pointed towards using just the 7mm shaft and to make sleeves on 7mm tubes for most other sizes of tubes. It does take some care to make them, but not too bad. I write the size and pen name on the outside and seal them with shellac or sanding sealer. Getting quite a bag of them accumulated. The emperor sleeves are big ones!!

I am under the impression that Lee Valley is selling Berea gear -- the Berea pen mill uses a 3/16 shaft into the pen mill (per Bill's web page at AZ SIL).

Another option is to use high speed steel piloted endmills.

Your are cutting or sanding your ends so you are only milling the last 0.01 inch or less -- Right???

Using a hand held handle??

See Spring 2006 Wood Turning Design Page 60 figure 9 for the pen mill and handle, Page 61 figure 13 for fitting a tube to a turned piece of wood (Rich is making a cap, but works just as well for sleeve).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom