Pen Mill Confusion

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kooster

Can someone please clairify when to use a pen mill sleeve as opposed to just using the cutting shaft? Are sleeves used for blanks that do not accommodate the sizes of the cutting shafts? (the long portion inserted into the tube and attached to the cutting head). If so, how is any adhesive cleaned from inside the tube? I'm confusing the issue here and would appreciate some clarification.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Paul in OKC

Yep, sleeves are used for tubes that are larger than the shaft. You can plug the tubes with Play-Do or something when inserting in the blank. You can use a small file, or anything that will go in and lightly scrape the glue out.

Lenny

I don't rely on the shaft to clean out any glue. Instead I do my best to plug the tube avoiding getting any glue in there in the first place. If some does get in, I first use a suitable sized drill bit to clean it out, followed by a chainsaw file if needed.

kooster

Is there a set of sleeves available for the standard size blanks or are there other methods used instead of the larger sleeves?

jcm71

Is there a set of sleeves available for the standard size blanks or are there other methods used instead of the larger sleeves?

Whiteside makes pen reamers designed to, you guessed it, ream the glue out of the inside of any tube. They come in just about all diameters, but are kind of pricey. Woodcraft carries them. If you don't want to make the investment, do what Lenny does and use an appropriate size drill bit, either metric or English. Just be careful not to use too large of a bit, or you will compromise the fit of the components when you assemble the pen. DAMHIKT.

longbeard

Even though i plug the ends of the tubes, i still get a small amount of glue in them, and the best thing i have found to clean the glue from the tubes is the brass bore brushes from a gun cleaning kit. Square the ends on a disc sander. Just my .01 cent worth.

Last edited:

randyrls

I normally make sleeves from 7mm tubes and any wood blanks I don't like. Or birch or maple dowels.

I use the tubes with a sanding jig to square the blank ends as I don't normally use a pen mill.

Peter Fab

You can use Corian to make all kinds of sleeves and also great for all bushings.
Corian makes a really good material for cone bushings that allow sanding and finishing pens without messing with metal bushings.
(Messing with metal bushings means: metal filings and black marks on your wood, CA gluing the bushings to the pen body etc. etc. Plus the actual expense of buying and replacing the metal bushings)

JD Combs Sr

I don't rely on the shaft to clean out any glue. Instead I do my best to plug the tube avoiding getting any glue in there in the first place. If some does get in, I first use a suitable sized drill bit to clean it out, followed by a chainsaw file if needed.
What Lenny said.

Top Bottom