Pen Mechanisms

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kenlholley

I've been getting most of my pen kits from Wood Turningz and Penn State Ind. I mainly get the slimline and cigar kits. These seem to be the easiest for a beginner like me. I have noticed that many of the cigar kits have "rough" turning twist mechanisms. They don't turn smoothly. I think it takes a lot away from a pen when it opens and closes roughly. Has any else had this happen and is there a fix for these kits?

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Have you narrowed it down to the mechanism? sometimes the plating where the refill nib goes through is built up enough to catch or drag.

kenlholley

When I remove the mechanisms they do seem to be much smoother. If it is a build up on the nibs like you suggest, what would be the most cosmetic way to fix that?

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Run a drill bit through the hole to make sure its clear. A number 37 or 5/32 I believe. You will have to find one thats close.

nanosec12

Run a drill bit through the hole to make sure its clear. A number 37 or 5/32 I believe. You will have to find one thats close.
I have run into this problem, and now I run the refill through the nib before assembly to make sure it's nice and smooth (and drill it out if necessary)

edstreet

Some penetrating oil on the transmission will also help greatly. Many of those, and the refill for that matter, are very old and can dry out over time.

Top Bottom