pen mandrel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Purchase "D" drill rod (0.246 diameter). Cut to lengths desired. Thread the ends with 1/4 by 28 NF die.

Dimple the end with a center drill. Our use a through fitting like the mandrel saver.

Use in a collet style MT at the head stock or use a ER Collet chuck to hold it at the headstock.

its_virgil

Making a mandrel is not difficult. You will need Letter D size oil dried drill rod. Cut it to length. Use a thread cutting die to cut the threads for the brass nut. You will also need a center drill to cut the 60 degree dimple in the threaded end. I'm assuming you do not need the mandrel that has threads on both ends. The headstock end on those are usually smaller and a metal lathe would be needed to make the diameter smaller. Ir you are holding the mandrel with some type of chuck then they are easy to make.
Drill rod is available from industrial supply houses and you may have one locally if you live in a larger city. Otherwise you will have to order from a place like McMaster-Carr, Enco, MSC Direct or similar place. The center drills are available from these same supply places or from Harbor Freight. One drawback if you have to order is the drill rod comes in 36 inch lengths and the shipping will be more than the drill rod. I make all of my mandrels and have for quite awhile. Although once I started using a collet chuck to hold my mandrel my need for new mandrels has dwindled to almost nill.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

i was wondering if there was any tutorials on making your
own pen mandrel or is there a site or video on making one

thanks,henry

PenMan1

What "erks" me is starter pacakges.

Instead of sending a load of "crap" that you will never use again after day 3 (i.e. insertion tool, mandrel, inferior pen mill, nasty blanks, cheapest of the cheap "kits" and blanks that are inferior to "lumber grade" wood from the BORG), they could include a collet chuck, a piece of "D" drill rod, some glue, 3 bushings and some REAL instructions on how to make pens.

If you decide to, you can actually glue up blanks with maple syrup, let it set for three or four days and successfully turn a blank. No insertion tool, no stupid mask, or CHEAP gloves required!

This "sport" needs someone to offer a package of stuff that is REALLY needed, along with a tutorial on how to make pens without "kits". God, I miss Russ Fairfield!

Exit soapbox.

Last edited:
Top Bottom