Pen Mandrel - quality?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Evan

Hi,

Sorry, haven't posted any pics yet... will do soon!

I noticed that while turning the end of the mandrel was a bit wobbly, and I'm not sure if it's the lathe or the mandrel.

Is it possible that the mandrel could have bent? I can't tell by looking at it...

But my question is - are the PSI or CraftUSA mandrels beneficial in some way? This pen mandrel I got was from leevalley.com don't know where it's made.

Thanks!
Evan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scott

Hi Evan,

That Lee Valley mandrel is supposed to be a good one. Yes, it's possible that it has bent. To check it, lay the mandrel shaft on a very flat surface, like the cast iron top of a table saw. Roll the mandrel shaft around a bit, and see if you can see light under it at any time. You can try gently straightening it if it is bent, but it is better just to get a new shaft.

I prefer the Berea mandrels. They're just beefier. But the Lee Valley is pretty good!

Scott.

pen-turners

I had the same problem with my mandrel so I bought a new professional mandrel system and it wobbled too. Fixed the problem by buying a $7.00 Morse taper cleaner at Woodcraft. Must have had just a little bit of "mung" built up in the taper which put my mandrel off center no matter how straight it was.

chris

pen-turners

Yes,
I had build up inside the MT on the headstock. Probably because of the high humidity out here in Hawaii. Probably a little bit of rust or buildup. I bought one of those Bright green MT cleaners at Woodcrafts and It worked like a charm.

Chris

its_virgil

Tightening the knurled nut can warp the blanks and tightening the tail stock can warp the mandrell and these two warpings compound each other making the turned wood not concedntgric with the brass tube. Don't ask me how I know this but buying everyone's mandrel did not matter until someone told me not to tighten stuff so tightly. finger tight and problem solved.
Using dull tools requiring more pressure can bend a mandrel. Removing a pen blank that is partially glued to the mandrel can bend the mandrel as we pull and pull on the blank if the tail stock is removed. And yes, gunk inside the MT in the headstock or gunk on the mandrel MT can cause the mandrel to be misaligned. We must keep all MT's gunk free, warp free, and straingt. Maybe a tutorial on straightening mandrels would be a good addition to the tips and tricks.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Fred in NC

Also, the barrels need to be properly squared TO THE TUBE. If they are not, when the nut is tightened the mandrel will bow.

Mandrel shafts can be carefully straightened out. I keep a spare shaft just in case.

Scott

Ryan - Thank you! I have been griping at the people at Woodcraft for months because they don't have those green things in! Now I know I can get one at Packard! Great! I'm about due to spend some money with Brad anyway!

Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom