Pen Lathe Vacuum System

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

PenPal

Today I bought a 2000watt bagless vac to connect to my VL100 lathe,I have been using a wet and dry upright barrel but cleaning the pleated filter is a painfull messy process.The new vac has a window to see the dust level.Reason to change I will cut up and turn a native grass tree soon,when I do this I will take pics and describe this unique tree root indigenous to Western Australia,this location is the same distance as Caifornia to New York away from where I live.
Pic shows the tube from the vac thru the rails,magnificent way to collect dust shavings have a mind of their own. Peter

200751110519_VLVac3%20371x269.jpg

Darley

Hi Peter, I think your system won't work, the vacuum hose is in the way for the banjo, second you don't have any hood on your vacuum head to suck the dust away efficiently, third grass tree is very deadly wood to turn lots of woodturner in OZland will tell you, I turn mine out side of my work shop as I din't want any dust in it plus I have the Triton mask from start to finish, don't take me wrong or negative, sure the wood is nice, BTW drill out side too[:D]

PenPal

Darly, It does and has worked for some time now,look at the tool rest width made to reach the pen on the right hand side out of the way to show the tube,the latest change is under the lathe to the bagless vac.The tool rest base is angled,the plate set at the ideal angle to reduce fatigue in holding the chisels.
My Racal helmet is my friend for nasty woods.You did not remark on my support of the mandrel using the brass insert in the shop made live centre or only turning half a pen at a time.More to this pic than a casual glance.
Having said that I wish all well in their pusuit of comfort and safety and look forward to contributions from members of how they overcome dust and set up their lathes.

2007511214834_Lathe%2010%20640x373.jpg
<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom