Pen kit ideas for customer with MS

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ptolemy

Hi everyone. I'm looking for suggestions.

At my first show this weekend I had this wonderful customer purchase 4 pens. One for each of her sons and sons-in-law. She was also looking for a pen for her husband who has MS. Because of this she had two requirements. The pen needed to be pretty think and had to have some form of gripping surface around the nib. Smooth wood would be too difficult for him to handle. Can anyone suggest a pen style, or modified pen style, that might meet these requirements?

Thanks for the help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

The soft grip pens are going to be pretty thin, only a bit thicker than a slimline. The fattest ballpoint is the Havana from CSUSA, but you would have to cut beads in it if you wanted a better gripping surface. Or maybe find some rubber tubing you could use to make your own "soft grip." I know there have some people who've made pens for things like this, Bob Swartzendruber(txbob) for one. Here's a link to his PMG gallery http://www.penmakersguild.com/browse.php?gallery=swartzenb&page=0 You might want to look him up in the member list and send him email about it. Very nice guy and you'll get an informative response.

JimGo

You might also consider a cigar pen with an <b>Ed Davidson (YoYoSpin) </b> inspired series of rubber O-rings near the writing tip. I'll see if I can find one of Ed's pens as an example in his gallery here.

EDIT:
Actually, here are two ideas from Ed's photo album:
/forum/albums/YoYoSpin/pen136a.jpg<br />
/forum/albums/YoYoSpin/bbpen9a.jpg

<b>Again, these are YoYoSpin's pens, not mine (don't want anyone thinking I'm trying to take credit for Ed's work).</b>

Ptolemy

Thanks for the replys. These were all great suggestions.

Jim, I think the bottom pen from Ed Davidson (YoYoSpin) is exactly what she was looking for. I'll forward the image to her and see if I'm correct.

Thanks again everyone for the quick replies.

ilikewood

Look in the pen pictures for the penturners guild (yahoo). There is one guy in there that made it into the guild by making a pen designed for someone with arthritic hands. I can't remember his name right now, but it may come to me later. I haven't seen him around here for a while, but he still might be active in the guild.

txbob

Yeah, I'm still around. My guild entry was done with a slimline kit. I first put modeling clay around an existing pen, then had the customer squeeze and mold it until it matched her grip and was comfortable. I then took a piece of fairly soft mahogany and carved a matching shape for the lower barrel. Take a look at the link listed above. It's fun doing these, as the customer really appreciates what you've done for them.

Thanks,

txbob aka Bob Swartzendruber

Hi Brad,

I have made a few pens over the years for special people, non more satisfying than for those who have challenges.

One thing I have lernt is to get the grip right for them. I will ask if they can take some clay and roll it up, then hold it like a pen. I ask them to press into the shape thier writing grip. I then get the diameter of the grip and us ethat measurement to style teh design of the pen.

This pen here is one I made for a beautiful young lady with CP.

It's a cigar kit that I played around with, her favorite colour is blue.

IMG_4710.jpg

I think what ever kit you choose that they will like it, incorperating something personal like a favorite colour makes it extra special.
[;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom