Pen kit for HRB

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mortalis

I know this is a personal taste question but I'm looking for something new.

I bought 4 pieces of Honduran Rosewood Burl pen blanks. The seller has a good trading and the picture of the blanks is really nice. I'm looking for suggestions of pen kits that will best display the beauty of the HRB.

I like fountain pens and have made one of PSI Broadwell Scepyers but i don't like the broad nib out came with and it's not postable which i prefer. I would like to make one for my boss buti think he prefers ball points. I ordered a majestic junior and i think that will be one kit made with the HBR.

Any other suggestions welcome. If you have pictures that would be great too.

Thanks in advance.
Kevin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Burr

Banned
Hmmmm....any of the Sierra styles would be good. PSI Magnetic Graduate would be kinda cool. Any Cigar style would look great. Maybe look at the Art Deco line...interesting stuff.

southernclay

Zen for rollerball, Long Clicker for ballpoint.

Both can be bought from exotic blanks or csusa.

I don't think there is a fountain zen version but maybe a conversion kit exists.

SSGMEADER

Jr. Statesman This is not one of mine but a pen a member by the name of Tom on another forumn recently did in HRB. I remembered it because I thought the pairing of wood and kit were great. You can get them from Exotic Blanks.com and choose to upgrade your nib if you go fountain pen or to a Schmidt if you go Rollerball.
img_4150-jpg.63853

Last edited:

79spitfire

long clicker. I've also converted some 'slimline' clicker (8mm tube) pens to single tube pens and it's even longer. Really gives you the opportunity to show off some nice long pattern lines in a blank

Karl_99

If the person likes ballpoints, consider the Majestic ballpoint (PSI) or the Major from Smitty's Pen Works. Smitty's will include an Easy Flow 9000 refill.

Mortalis

Zen for rollerball, Long Clicker for ballpoint.

Both can be bought from exotic blanks or csusa.

I don't think there is a fountain zen version but maybe a conversion kit exists.
I have a zen kit that I have been holding for just the right blank. I believe it a gold version.

Mortalis

Jr. Statesman This is not one of mine but a pen a member by the name of Tom on another forumn recently did in HRB. I remembered it because I thought the pairing of wood and kit were great. You can get them from Exotic Blanks.com and choose to upgrade your nib if you go fountain pen or to a Schmidt if you go Rollerball.
img_4150-jpg.63853
Your link is broken, can you resubmit?

tdsmart

Thanks for the shout out, SSGMEADER. Here is the pen he mentioned which is a Jr. Statesman in Rhodium/Black Titanium.

And another Jr. Statesman with Rhodium and 22KT Gold.

Attachments

• IMG_4145.jpg
    IMG_4145.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_4149.jpg
    IMG_4149.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_4161.jpg
    IMG_4161.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_4159.jpg
    IMG_4159.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 128

SSGMEADER

Thanks for the shout out, SSGMEADER. Here is the pen he mentioned which is a Jr. Statesman in Rhodium/Black Titanium.

And another Jr. Statesman with Rhodium and 22KT Gold.

Awesome Tom didn't even realize you were on this forum too. you know your doing it right when a pen sticks with someone and then it's your first thought when another person asks what pairs well.

CrimsonKeel

toddlajoie

IMO, which kit is completely personal preference, and that preference goes to the indented owner... The one think I would say that is MY personal preference with HRB, and (again IMO) not a matter or personal preference (and supported by many of the kit recommendations) is Rhodium, Stainless, Sterling, or Chrome hardware. I don't know why, but I just think the lighter neutral hardware accentuates the HRB grain and color...

As for purely my opinions for kits, Twist would be Cigar (Hybrid chrome/satin chrome), Caped would be Sterling Silver Baron (smaller) or Rhodium Jr Series (larger)

Mortalis

IMO, which kit is completely personal preference, and that preference goes to the indented owner... The one think I would say that is MY personal preference with HRB, and (again IMO) not a matter or personal preference (and supported by many of the kit recommendations) is Rhodium, Stainless, Sterling, or Chrome hardware. I don't know why, but I just think the lighter neutral hardware accentuates the HRB grain and color...

As for purely my opinions for kits, Twist would be Cigar (Hybrid chrome/satin chrome), Caped would be Sterling Silver Baron (smaller) or Rhodium Jr Series (larger)
That is exactly the way I started the thread, by saying it is mostly a personal choice. I am looking for ideas that are different from the PSI/Woodturningz/CSUSA/Berea choices. I know there are a few on these forums that have knowledge of different distributors and have different models and styles. The Honduras Rosewood Burl is such an exceptional (and expensive) wood that I wanted something different that would set it off as not the usual fare for hardware.

Thanks all for the ideas.

Top Bottom