Pen for a 2 Star Army General

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hi folks, I have been commissioned to make a pen for a two-star Army general (Corp of Engineers) who is turning 80 in March.
They asked for something "regal" and not an eagle, flag, rifle, etc.
Does anyone know where I can find a blank with the Corp of Engineers castle and 2 stars? Also, I'm new to the pen world and don't know kit names/styles very well. Which kit would you use?
Sorry, I know that's a lot to ask.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska. That is a tough one, "regal" is open to a pretty wide interpretation. Unless a Fountain Pen is preferred, I recommend using kit made for a "Parker" style refill or Rollerball over anything that uses "Cross" style refills. There are many options for blanks and kits available. I would suggest you look through the "Show Off Your Pens" forum for ideas on blank materials and kit styles.

If historical nature is more important than beauty, several outlets are available for Historic Woods from decking found on naval ships to barracks from military bases and other historic locations. For beautiful woods, I recommend doing a site search for the "Pretty Wood Voting" and looking at the various submissions for both a beautiful and regal looking blank material.

You might also find someone that has made blanks using the Corps of Engineers buttons (did you know they are the only branch of the Army that has unique buttons?)

Coming from a very uninformed position, I would give consideration to the "Majestic" kits from PSI and at some of the ultra rare woods that are available i.e. woods that have become banned from import and export due to their rarity i.e. vulnerable or endangered species. (Bois de Rose from Madagascar, any Dalbergia (True Rosewoods), or any Burls which are by their very nature very rare.

Even with high end kits and very rare woods, I have found that what people value the most is that the pen is unique, one-of-a-kind and was hand crafted with care especially for them.

Wishing you the best of luck with your endeavor,
Dave

Last edited:

RobS

Attachments

• IMG_1609.jpg
    IMG_1609.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_1619.jpg
    IMG_1619.jpg
    685.4 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_1621.jpg
    IMG_1621.jpg
    387.2 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_1622.jpg
    IMG_1622.jpg
    359.8 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_1623.jpg
    IMG_1623.jpg
    426.6 KB · Views: 133
Check out @Lathemaster on this site. I've gotten a few "custom" made blanks that turned out great. Mike does really good work and his prices are on par with many others. I've also gotten blanks from @Kenny Durrant and he also does really good work. There are a lot of members on this site that could probably help you out. The names above are just a couple I've used with great results.

Last edited:

Lathemaster

Hi folks, I have been commissioned to make a pen for a two-star Army general (Corp of Engineers) who is turning 80 in March.
Does anyone know where I can find a blank with the Corp of Engineers castle and 2 stars? Also, I'm new to the pen world and don't know kit names/styles very well. Which kit would you use?
I can design and do the label bank cast. FYI I am licensed to use the Armed Forced Trademark insignias Would just need to know the kit you plan to use

and I just realized that I used Corp instead of Corps

Top Bottom