Pen Display

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jimm1

jimm1

Really want input here.
Pen cap can either be in front or behind pen body.
Not sure these are working for me.

Attachments

• 2016-03-23 21.18.35.jpg
    2016-03-23 21.18.35.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 464
  • 2016-03-23 21.18.54.jpg
    2016-03-23 21.18.54.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 95
  • 2016-03-23 21.18.00.jpg
    2016-03-23 21.18.00.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 152
  • 2016-03-23 21.16.26.jpg
    2016-03-23 21.16.26.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 175
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lyonsacc

Hey Jim,

My comments are based on the assumption this display would be used when you are selling pens (not on your personal desk).

1) With your whiskey barrel blanks - I would like the cap in the back, and a little ledge added on the front that would hold a COA (certificate of authenticity).

2) With this "We The People" pen - I don't think the display works well. The selling point of the pen is going to be the "We the people" on the cap. I would think you would have better luck with the cap in front and horizontal (easier to read). So maybe a display that holds both pieces horizontally.

My 2 cents is free today!

Dave

magpens

I like the concept.

I think the cradle for the pen needs to be thinner and tilted (nib down). Also, move the cap stub closer to the pen, I think.

Edward Cypher

I have to agree with Pete. Your pens are beautiful and elegant the display is bulky and I feel it takes away from an awesome product. Display needs to be lighter and elegant. Just my opinion and like Dave's it is free today. So take advice or discard it whatever makes you happy, cause in the end you only have to please yourself.

budnder

I'm kinda new to the pen world, so sorry if this is a naive or newbie question, but what would this be used for - isn't a capped pen supposed to be capped when not in use? Or is the idea that you'd have this on your writing surface as someplace to put your cap and momentarily rest your pen when not writing? The reason I ask is that when I though about giving you some feedback, I wasn't sure if it was more important how it looked without a pen, with a pen, or with a pen uncapped.

For my tastes, there's too many vertical and horizontal lines, too much symmetry, and a bit too much "meat" in the stand compared to the pen. Maybe scale down some, tip the arc a bit and move the cap to one side or the other instead of having it in the center. Maybe angle the cap somewhat so it's not 90 degrees vertical. But that's all very subjective opinion. Yours looks 100% better than the one I imagined but never made.

jttheclockman

I'm kinda new to the pen world, so sorry if this is a naive or newbie question, but what would this be used for - isn't a capped pen supposed to be capped when not in use? Or is the idea that you'd have this on your writing surface as someplace to put your cap and momentarily rest your pen when not writing? The reason I ask is that when I though about giving you some feedback, I wasn't sure if it was more important how it looked without a pen, with a pen, or with a pen uncapped.

For my tastes, there's too many vertical and horizontal lines, too much symmetry, and a bit too much "meat" in the stand compared to the pen. Maybe scale down some, tip the arc a bit and move the cap to one side or the other instead of having it in the center. Maybe angle the cap somewhat so it's not 90 degrees vertical. But that's all very subjective opinion. Yours looks 100% better than the one I imagined but never made.

No name given in your profile so will just answer this way. The pen display can be used for displaying at a show or for posing for photos. It is definetly not designed for a desk or for futher use after the pen is started to be used. You are correct that a cap pen needs to be kept capped after the initial use.

My take on the display as many of the others. It is too bulky and actually takes away from the pen. You need to use woods if you are using woods that are rich looking at in nature such as rosewoods or walnut or even maples. The stand needs to be elegant and I believe you need to see both cap and barrel together. Now maybe raise the cap display higher than the barrel. Sort of a stepped display on a small scale. Do not hide either one behind each other. Good luck.

budnder

Thanks for the tip on the profile and info on what a pen display is (doh... it's for displaying... should have figured that out). Attached is a quick and dirty photoshop of what I was trying to describe as far as suggested changes... seeing my changes somehow make it kinda nautical somehow, with implied motion and a single smokestack raked back...

Attachments

• reimaginedPenDisplay.jpg
    reimaginedPenDisplay.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
I don't make pens any more, so take this for what it's worth... but I personally would go away from any display that separates the two components of the pen... to me, a capped pen always looks better with the cap in place.

Top Bottom