Pen Display Prototype

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Donnie Kennedy

Over time I've developed an irrational hatred for the following 3 things:

(1) Pen Pouches
(2) Pen Sleeves
(3) Acrylic Pen Displays

Not just some, but all of them.

That said, the other night I decided that I'm going to start spending a couple of bucks per pen and and display all of them in plain yet functional box... put the pen in the box, sit the box inside the lid, and put them on my display stand for all the world to see and I'm done... cept I gots no display stand. I emailed the guy that I'm going to start getting the boxes from for some dimensions and got an idea or 3 brewing.

So today while at the in-laws, I noticed my F-I-L had a bunch of 1/4" plyboard stacked against the wall of his shop so I asked him for a piece and brought it home and this is what I came up with... it's sort of a prototype that I just made on the fly, so it's not as nice as the next one will be, but I got it figured out.

It's wide enough to hold 10 pen boxes without a lot of airspace in between.

I added some 5" X 3/4" feets to make it nice and stable.

This is an old bracelet box I found in the house to use as a visual aid... there is a 1/4" lip (that may end up a little deeper) along the bottom and both sides to hold the boxes.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

JohnLifer

Looks fine. When I was selling my pens, I used a very similar box you have there. Several varieties of inserts. Cheapest was just white cotton, better was a black foam that I punched a couple of holes into and threaded a silver or gold elastic thread thru to hold pen/pencils. Works nice for about 50-75 cents each. Local store that sold gift boxes was source.

Thanks for the comments. As soon as I get around to ordering in a woodslicer blade for my bandsaw I plan on making one from some straight grained cherry I have a ton of.

Top Bottom